Massive Dc Offset with Ipod 4G
Feb 6, 2006 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

BavariaBarbarian

100+ Head-Fier
Well my amazing IPod surprised me with a new "feature".
It now has about 1.5V (sic!) of DC-Offset (right channel, left channel only boasts 1.3V).
eek.gif

Theoretically this allows me to run a small flashlight from the output - nice, but still...
blink.gif

Seriously now, somethings got to be broken in there...
I noticed it, because I heard a loud THUMP when plugging it into my Pimeta. Fortunately I have the coupling caps installed so my headphones are safe, but still...
mad.gif

Fortunately also, only the line-out is affected, the headphone socket only shows reasonable 2-3mV. Which also reassures me, that a) I know how to measure and b) the meter isn't broken.

To make things complicated: I live in Germany but bought the IPod quite exactly one year ago on eBay from a guy in the US...

Now I'm not sure what to do.
I'm pretty sure, that the warranty period is over. Also I have no proof of purchase and I suspect the other guy registered the IPod with Apple...
How would Apple react if I sent the IPod in for repair?
Would they think it was stolen?

Has anybody got experience with Apple regarding service outside the warranty period? I fear even if they repair it it shall cost me quite a bit.

Ah, what a nuisance!
rolleyes.gif

Cheers,

Mat

Feb 9, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 15
Try registering the serial number on Apple's support site. If you bought it a year ago, it's likely no longer under warranty, which means you will a) have to live with it b) get a new one or c) attempt to diy it.

Feb 9, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 15
Cheers!

I was afraid of complications if I registered with apple and the ipod was already registered.
But what the heck, I just did so anyway.

Of course I could easily live with the problem I simply wonder what got busted in there and why...

Feb 9, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 15
I have an iPod with a broken LCD and it is out of warranty and Apple said there was nothing they could do about it.

Are you sure you are getting DC offset that high? I'm pretty sure that would be enough to destroy headphones.

It should be a reading in the mV (0.001 V) range. Mine are 4 and 6mv. I think anything above 20mV would be potentially damaging.

If your readings are actually 1.5 and 1.3mV then you are fine.

Feb 10, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 15
So Apple didn't even offer to repair it for a not-so-reasonable fee?
- I had hoped that would be an option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
Are you sure you are getting DC offset that high? I'm pretty sure that would be enough to destroy headphones.

Alas, I am.
I read 2-3mV from the headphone out. On the line out it's off the mV scale until I switch to x1000.
And if I hadn't installed the coupling capacitors in my Pimeta (Gain 4), then, yes, my headphones likely would have been fried...
basshead.gif

Also, I tried another dock, problem persists. *sigh*

Feb 14, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Just to round this off:

I've got a reply from apple, telling me that the ipod is already registered on another person (surprise).
They could quite easily change that.
But since it is already outside warranty so there's actually no point to it because the fee for repair outside of the warranty is rather hefty.

So I'll either live with it or start researching DIY possibilities.

I just hope the headphone out stays sane...

Feb 14, 2006 at 10:57 PM Post #10 of 15
This is the line out that you're registering these voltages from I presume??

If so, then those voltages are pretty much spot on for portable equipment (2v is what is normal for home units iirc)

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
This is the line out that you're registering these voltages from I presume??

If so, then those voltages are pretty much spot on for portable equipment (2v is what is normal for home units iirc)

The voltages he's measuring are DC, not AC.

Feb 15, 2006 at 8:45 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by BavariaBarbarian

Alas, I am.
I read 2-3mV from the headphone out. On the line out it's off the mV scale until I switch to x1000.
And if I hadn't installed the coupling capacitors in my Pimeta (Gain 4), then, yes, my headphones likely would have been fried...
basshead.gif

Also, I tried another dock, problem persists. *sigh*

Quote:

Originally Posted by BavariaBarbarian
Well my amazing IPod surprised me with a new "feature".
It now has about 1.5V (sic!) of DC-Offset (right channel, left channel only boasts 1.3V).

Are you measuring mV or V ?

There is a very big difference between the two. If you are measuring mV, you are fine.

As for the "thump", well, if you have the volume up, you will of course get a thump or feedback when plugging in a source suddenly to an amp. Turn the volume down when plugging or unplugging. Best thing is to not have headphones plugged in at all, or not power up an amp until after your iPod is connected to your amp.

-Ed

Feb 15, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Are you measuring mV or V ?

Both.
wink.gif

mV from the headphone out.
V from the lineout.
Seriously.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood

As for the "thump", well, if you have the volume up, you will of course get a thump or feedback when plugging in a source suddenly to an amp.

Of course. But the noise was much softer before this dc-issue arose (and still is if I connect to the headphone out), more like a "click" not a "thump"
basshead.gif

I'd guess that, while dc is blocked by C1 in the pimeta, it still would charge that cap up to an extent and that's what I'm hearing.

After all I could easily live with it, I've got input caps on all my amps. I'm just worried that a) the headphone out, too, will start behaving like this and fry some headphone and b) something is seriously amiss inside the ipod and other failures will follow.

If I only knew how to crack this thing open without damaging it.
I'd love to try to locate the output caps and check if they're busted.

Feb 15, 2006 at 10:01 AM Post #14 of 15
It is really easy to take the back off the iPod. If you look around, most of the battery replacement places have videos/photos showing how it's done for diy battery replacements. One even had a guy at Macworld doing it blindfolded. I don't have time to look around now, but it is not hard to find instructions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back