Massive Attack > all?
Apr 2, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #2 of 16
I like Mezzanine a lot, great cd. Blue Lines is not a favorite cd of mine however, the newest one is great though, some good tracks.

I am more of a fan of portishead though
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2005 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 16
I love Mezzanine, i think im going to listen to it next! I like Blue Lines, i think it got a lot of hype though but i enjoy and dig mezzanine more.

Massive attack is real cool, portishead is a much darker sound, but i like it as well.

Apr 2, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 16
I love massive attack.
smily_headphones1.gif

I would place their albums in this order [best to worst]:

blue lines -> mezzanine -> protection[and no-protection] -> danny the dog -> 100th window

There are some good tracks on 100th window, but as a whole the CD did not impress me. I think that mezzanine is a better CD from start to finish than blue lines, but my favourite songs are on blue lines so it holds a special place for me. The danny the dog soundtrack is really fun, but it is a soundtrack which makes it a little irritating at times.

EDIT: Oh, I really like listening to my singles collection as well... some of their best tracks are b-sides.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2005 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 16
Massive attack is certaintly a good band (I cherish my vinyl copy of mezzanine), but you should check out some of the more recent bands that they're inspired, especially alpha.

IMO, alpha's stargazing is just as good, if not better than anything massive attack (or portishead for that matter) have ever done. There are a whole bunch of other great bands in this genre too.

Apr 2, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 16
That is complete sacrilege.
blink.gif

PS. I've never really found alpha all that great, there is a lot of better trip hop out there in my opinion.

EDIT: There are some good suggestions in the trip hop thread.

Apr 2, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 16
Massive Attack is good, brilliant even. Mezzanine deserves to be remembered as a stunning artistic moment (comparable to Radiohead's Ok Computer or even Pink Floyd's DSOTM). Blue Lines, considering its historical context, should also be remembered as a real landmark.

100th Window should be considered a 3D solo album... in which case, I think it actually is pretty good and filled with a lot of depth.

Greater than everyone else (in trip-hop/downtempo/whatever you want to call it)? Maybe. IMHO, Portishead's best moments outshine Massive Attack's. Further Tricky's Maxinque has tracks (aftermath etc.) that are superior to most anything Massive Attack ever produced.

Apr 2, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 16
I am also a serious Massive Attack fan. In my opinion, "Mezzanine" absolutely cannot be beat. I bought the singles boxed set and it is really an awesome collection [the box is made of some material that is heat sensitive and your fingerprints stay on the box and slowly fade...]. I like "Blue Lines," and "Protection," but I wouldn't rate them as highly as I would "Mezzanine" or "The 100th Window." I hated "Danny The Dog." I would recommend "The 100th Window" if you liked "Mezzanine."

Apr 3, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 16
Mezzanine is one of my favorite albums of all times. I never really got into the other Massive Attack albums for some reason though.

Apr 3, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #12 of 16
Nice to see some fans, I didn't expect to see this many on here. Have to apologize, I was a tad inebriated when I made this thread. Anyways, my list from favorite to least favorite would go..

Mezzanine, Protection, Blue Lines, 100th Window, Danny The Dog

And the singles collection does have a cool case. Only thing that stinks is when it gets hot it just turns grey(although the artwork is cool).
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2005 at 10:44 AM Post #13 of 16
Massive Attack has produced brilliant music since 1991. That's all I can say. I love all their releases. Blue Lines, quintessential trip-hop CD that started it all, and you really get the sense America was being filtered through their eyes, from the vocals to the instruments/sounds to the styles. Protection, again a great CD, definitely went in a more cinematic, lush, and atmospheric direction. Sound-mixed better too. Mezzanine, incredible experience. The most sensual, dark, & syrupy sounds I've ever heard. "Inertia Creeps" is one of their all-time masterpieces, it's such a transcendent piece of music. 100th Window, slightly disappointing but equally artistic, same dark direction as Mezzanine, but on a cerebral level (which most people would know if they listened to it better). Singles 90/98, NOW THAT'S A COLLECTION. Fantastic remixes and b-sides. Danny the Dog OST, what an amazing soundtrack! The art in their music successfully makes the transfer to another medium, and the complementary effect is stunning cinematica!

Finally there's the Crisis In Asia performance they did with Portishead at Bristol Academy. Converting studio-recorded music into a live act, especially when it's mostly electronic, is tough to do, but MA pulled it off amazingly well. "Karmacoma Experience" is an amazing and unique version of the excellent song!

Apr 3, 2005 at 11:44 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
Massive Attack has produced brilliant music since 1991. That's all I can say. I love all their releases. Blue Lines, quintessential trip-hop CD that started it all, and you really get the sense America was being filtered through their eyes, from the vocals to the instruments/sounds to the styles. Protection, again a great CD, definitely went in a more cinematic, lush, and atmospheric direction. Sound-mixed better too. Mezzanine, incredible experience. The most sensual, dark, & syrupy sounds I've ever heard. "Inertia Creeps" is one of their all-time masterpieces, it's such a transcendent piece of music. 100th Window, slightly disappointing but equally artistic, same dark direction as Mezzanine, but on a cerebral level (which most people would know if they listened to it better). Singles 90/98, NOW THAT'S A COLLECTION. Fantastic remixes and b-sides. Danny the Dog OST, what an amazing soundtrack! The art in their music successfully makes the transfer to another medium, and the complementary effect is stunning cinematica!

Finally there's the Crisis In Asia performance they did with Portishead at Bristol Academy. Converting studio-recorded music into a live act, especially when it's mostly electronic, is tough to do, but MA pulled it off amazingly well. "Karmacoma Experience" is an amazing and unique version of the excellent song!

Nice, you really like them I see
smily_headphones1.gif

I was introduced to Trip-Hop by Portishead and they are still my favorite though I do like Massive Attack a lot also.

What do you think of Portishead or other groups like Air/Zero 7 ?

Apr 3, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #15 of 16
I recently got Mezzanine and must say that I was not impressed. While I did enjoy it, it did not come close to the mark set by Dummy, or the significantly lower one set by Portishead's self-titled album.

Also take into consideration that I practically always have ridiculously high expectations for even relatively well-renowned artists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back