Massive Attack - 100th Window
Feb 8, 2003 at 7:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

geom_tol

100+ Head-Fier
Just finished listening to this. It's really good. I'm a big Sinead O'Connor fan so it's a real treat! (she's sings on three tracks)

It didn't WOW me like Blue Lines and Mezzanine, but I did have MUCH higher expectations on this. It is a superb album.

Feb 8, 2003 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 9
I downloaded it a few weeks ago and I must say, I'm impressed. Massive Attack yet again delivers. I'd say as a whole it might be more cohesive than Mezzanine.... though Mezzanine is still better in my mind so far. Tracks I especially like are Future Proof, Everywhen, Special Cases, Prayer for England, and Name Taken.

Feb 9, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #3 of 9
I adore it. Very, very nice indeed.

Feb 11, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #5 of 9
i don't like it that much. i've been listening to them for quite a few years and i feel their newer stuff just doesn't hold true to anything like blue lines or mezzanine. it seems so much more ambient and less beat-driven like trip-hop typically is.

i dunno, i was kinda let down but i guess nothing would really be able to reach mezzanine-level greatness. also, there's only one original member left.. entertainment weekly gave it a so-so review as well.

Feb 11, 2003 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i don't like it that much. i've been listening to them for quite a few years and i feel their newer stuff just doesn't hold true to anything like blue lines or mezzanine. it seems so much more ambient and less beat-driven like trip-hop typically is.

i dunno, i was kinda let down but i guess nothing would really be able to reach mezzanine-level greatness. also, there's only one original member left.. entertainment weekly gave it a so-so review as well.

Well, Massive Attack created trip hop so they would be the ones to take the style in different directions. You are right though only "3D" did this album and the rest sat out, but I'm pretty sure they are going to come back for the next release.

Feb 14, 2003 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 9
Just got my hands on it, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Though, it's not as dark and sinister as Mezzanine. Some may find this one is more laid-back instead. Right now, I think it will be the one I enjoy more in the long run: since (for me anyway) some tracks on Mezzanine were a 10/10 and others were a 7/10, I find every track on 100th Window a solid 8/10.

Feb 14, 2003 at 5:30 PM Post #9 of 9
I really enjoy 100th Window. Really good working music. Listening to their stuff, you almost feel like you're in a movie -- it's like soundtrack emotion movie. Yes, it is more mellow and far less edgy than Mezzanine, which is totally cool with me. It's more comparable with Protection in my opinion. The trademark subtleness of some of the layers just draw me in deep every time, even if I just listened to the track a moment ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back