Massdrop x Focal Elex Review & Measurements
Oct 26, 2023 at 11:55 PM Post #1,937 of 2,033
I just received the Elex from Headphones.com. Can’t go wrong at $499. Have them running off a Liquid Platinum amp, as their compatibility with tubes were recommended.
So far they sound great! Good bass and percussion, treble isn’t overly bright compared to the Clear. Very pleased.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:17 AM Post #1,938 of 2,033
I just received the Elex from Headphones.com. Can’t go wrong at $499. Have them running off a Liquid Platinum amp, as their compatibility with tubes were recommended.
So far they sound great! Good bass and percussion, treble isn’t overly bright compared to the Clear. Very pleased.

You have a clear as well? I've had a Elex a while and always wondered how it compares to clear.

Oct 27, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #1,939 of 2,033
You have a clear as well? I've had a Elex a while and always wondered how it compares to clear.
Actually I had a Clear a few months ago. Had to sell them they were too bright. Saw the Elex and liked the reviews so I bought it. Much better for my ears and they’re very comfortable!

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #1,941 of 2,033
I have had the Elex since the beginning of their run on (Mass)Drop. Amazing headphones and don’t believe I will ever part with them
I feel the same (until they break)

Oct 27, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #1,944 of 2,033
Yeah, I have heard of issues, but I for one haven’t had any. Count me as a very happy Elex owner.
I’ve had mine since April 2020, and no issues yet. But I am aware of the issues and won’t be surprised if something happens one day.

Oct 28, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #1,946 of 2,033
I have visited the Paris Audio Video Show last week and listened to the Utopia 2022 for the first time. I went back this weekend to a Focal listening space to try it again and each time I have mentioned that I own an Elex, Focal employees become visibly uncomfortable. It's like they know how close it really is to the Utopia. I can confirm that the gap in sound quality is rather minuscule.

Also, the Clear Mg sounds better than the Utopia.

Oct 29, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #1,947 of 2,033
I have visited the Paris Audio Video Show last week and listened to the Utopia 2022 for the first time. I went back this weekend to a Focal listening space to try it again and each time I have mentioned that I own an Elex, Focal employees become visibly uncomfortable. It's like they know how close it really is to the Utopia. I can confirm that the gap in sound quality is rather minuscule.

Also, the Clear Mg sounds better than the Utopia.
I listened to the Utopia last week and it had some excellent depth but the upper midrange wasn’t great. I’ll take the Elex at 1/7 the cost any day!

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #1,948 of 2,033
Elex have been reliable, almost 2 years in for me. Paid $550 and been perfectly happy with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back