Massdrop sennheiser hd6xx - love em what next
Jul 16, 2020 at 11:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Flex2d

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
It took me a while to find the sennheiser h6xx (hd650) and i abcolutely love them. However i am now looking for the next advancement in this sound signature.

I have tried fostex th610, beyer 1770 pro,1990 pro and didnt like them. The 650's are the sound i love but i am looking for the next pair. I haven't tied planar and not sure what to expect here. I am thinking of hd800s as its the same lineage. I love the volcals and accoustic instruments on the 650's and this prominently what i listen to however i do diverge to all genres.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed as my quest for the next headphone pair begins.

Thanks

Daniel

Jul 16, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 31
Hello,
It took me a while to find the sennheiser h6xx (hd650) and i abcolutely love them. However i am now looking for the next advancement in this sound signature.

I have tried fostex th610, beyer 1770 pro,1990 pro and didnt like them. The 650's are the sound i love but i am looking for the next pair. I haven't tied planar and not sure what to expect here. I am thinking of hd800s as its the same lineage. I love the volcals and accoustic instruments on the 650's and this prominently what i listen to however i do diverge to all genres.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed as my quest for the next headphone pair begins.

Thanks

Daniel

HD800s would be a step-up in some areas (soundstage, detail retrieval) but it is not a "natural successor," so to speak, of the HD6XX sound signature. They sound quite different.

For me, the best immediate step-up from HD6XX is the Focal Elear. The Elears have a similar sound signature but bring more bass quality and better resolution. The dark-leaning tone of the HD6XX remains with the Elear, they really are quite similar with the Elear being (in my opinion) a definitive step-up in the sound signature.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #3 of 31
I opted for the HD660s (US$500). A buddy w/ the Drop HD6XXX was over recently and felt the 660s were indeed a step up from his, wider soundstage, more natural sound and better resolution. I've been pretty pleased with them so far.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 31
I opted for the HD660s (US$500). A buddy w/ the Drops was over recently and felt the 660s were indeed a step up from his, wider soundstage, more natural sound and better resolution. I've been pretty pleased with them so far.

I agree I had all the hd 6xx headphones including hd 580 and hd 58x I decided to sell them all and keep the hd 660s which has much better separation of instruments, better soundstage (not by much) better low end the midrange is similar if not the same and are a bit faster than the rest of hd 6xx series plus they are easier to drive

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #5 of 31
HD800s would be a step-up in some areas (soundstage, detail retrieval) but it is not a "natural successor," so to speak, of the HD6XX sound signature. They sound quite different.

For me, the best immediate step-up from HD6XX is the Focal Elear. The Elears have a similar sound signature but bring more bass quality and better resolution. The dark-leaning tone of the HD6XX remains with the Elear, they really are quite similar with the Elear being (in my opinion) a definitive step-up in the sound signature.
Interesting i hadn't considered these. As they are open back, do they let as much sound through as the hd650's?(hd6xx)
thanks

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 31
I agree I had all the hd 6xx headphones including hd 580 and hd 58x I decided to sell them all and keep the hd 660s which has much better separation of instruments, better soundstage (not by much) better low end the midrange is similar if not the same and are a bit faster than the rest of hd 6xx series plus they are easier to drive
Do the 660's really offer that much difference over the 6xx /650's ? how is the bass, is it alittle more present? i do really love the vocal clarity and detail and also the instrument presentation from the 6xx's. Are the hd660 really worth the extra £200?

Thanks

Daniel

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 31
Interesting i hadn't considered these. As they are open back, do they let as much sound through as the hd650's?(hd6xx)
thanks

I felt that the Elear let in a little less outside sound and provided slightly more isolation, but not by much. Both headphones let in a fair bit of environmental noise.

Jul 16, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #8 of 31
Do the 660's really offer that much difference over the 6xx /650's ? how is the bass, is it alittle more present? i do really love the vocal clarity and detail and also the instrument presentation from the 6xx's. Are the hd660 really worth the extra £200?

Thanks

Daniel

I just sold my hd 650 2 weeks ago in comparison from what I remember the hd 660s has a faster bass and it extends a bit lower it is more present but it's not a bass heavy headphone it's just enough for it to be more enjoyable with current music , the vocal clarity is the same the mid range doesn't change much it still has the classic hd 6xx midrange , the highs are more present and you hear more detail it's not to the point that it's harsh or uncomfortable like the hd 700 were there is no peak at 5-7k the highs are just perfect for my taste , also the soundstage is improved you can pinpoint where each sound is coming from inside the soundstage which is still narrow and intimate like the rest of hd 6xx series but it's a bit wider .

If you can find them at good price I'd say it's worth it , I got mine for £350 on Amazon last year I know that now they cost £430 which is a shame I would say if you can find them on sale it's worth it if you are buying at retail price I am not so sure .

Hope it helps.

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #9 of 31
I felt that the Elear let in a little less outside sound and provided slightly more isolation, but not by much. Both headphones let in a fair bit of environmental noise.
Ok thanks, i'll see if there is anywhere i could try them which might be difficult in the current covid climate.. maybe second hand on ebay. Thanks for the recommendation though

Daniel

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #10 of 31
I just sold my hd 650 2 weeks ago in comparison from what I remember the hd 660s has a faster bass and it extends a bit lower it is more present but it's not a bass heavy headphone it's just enough for it to be more enjoyable with current music , the vocal clarity is the same the mid range doesn't change much it still has the classic hd 6xx midrange , the highs are more present and you hear more detail it's not to the point that it's harsh or uncomfortable like the hd 700 were there is no peak at 5-7k the highs are just perfect for my taste , also the soundstage is improved you can pinpoint where each sound is coming from inside the soundstage which is still narrow and intimate like the rest of hd 6xx series but it's a bit wider .

If you can find them at good price I'd say it's worth it , I got mine for £350 on Amazon last year I know that now they cost £430 which is a shame I would say if you can find them on sale it's worth it if you are buying at retail price I am not so sure .

Hope it helps.
Ok yeah 430 is a little pricey and will have a look around to see if they come on offer any time soon!

Cheers

Jul 16, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 31
thanks
Yes, they are open back. AFAIK, you have to step up to the 820 for closed back (US$1900 or so). There are other Senn closed backs, but they are lower price/capabilities/sound.

Not sure about how much ambient sound is let in vs. the 650.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 31
Hi Flex, I'll be the guy who jumps in and wonders whether you need new headphones (crazy on Head-fi I know!) :)

What DAC and Amp are you currently running with the HD6xx? They scale extremely well with the rest of your gear. If you're running a solid state amp right now, for instance, you should try a tube amp for the money would spend on new headphones as it could make the sound you already like much richer.

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:03 PM Post #14 of 31
Hi Flex, I'll be the guy who jumps in and wonders whether you need new headphones (crazy on Head-fi I know!) :)

What DAC and Amp are you currently running with the HD6xx? They scale extremely well with the rest of your gear. If you're running a solid state amp right now, for instance, you should try a tube amp for the money would spend on new headphones as it could make the sound you already like much richer.
So i am running from pc through yamaha as-701 then to little dot mk2 with mullard and yugoslavian tubes sounds really nicebut, and the but is i am looking for the next step up i guess. Maybe a better dac might help?

Thanks

Daniel

Jul 16, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #15 of 31
Yes, they are open back. AFAIK, you have to step up to the 820 for closed back (US$1900 or so). There are other Senn closed backs, but they are lower price/capabilities/sound.

Not sure about how much ambient sound is let in vs. the 650.
820's would be the dream hey! out of my budget and the wife would kill me if she found out i spent 2k on some headphones! she had a melt down when she realise how much i spent on kef r300's with yamaha as-701lol

but yeah i think hd800s would be max budget, but if not right in the step up line then open to other suggestions :)

best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back