Massdrop Plus Build Quality?
Oct 3, 2018 at 9:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

energeon

New Head-Fier
Hi, so I'm looking to pick up a pair of Massdrop Plus Universal IEMs but I'm not too sure about whether or not the build quality is great on these. Some reviews online say that the build quality or durability on them is great while others say they aren't. I commute a lot so there might be some abuse on the IEM.

Can someone comment on them if they own a pair of MD Plus?

Oct 3, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi, so I'm looking to pick up a pair of Massdrop Plus Universal IEMs but I'm not too sure about whether or not the build quality is great on these. Some reviews online say that the build quality or durability on them is great while others say they aren't. I commute a lot so there might be some abuse on the IEM.

Can someone comment on them if they own a pair of MD Plus?

The IEMs themselves seem solid. (I've been using them for daily commutes for a few months now.) The cables are not, and also the cables do not connect as solidily as they should, so it's possible for the IEM to become disconnected. If you think the MD+ are otherwise a good choice for you, just factor in the cost of replacing the cable when you get it.

One additional thing to be aware of is that they're impedance sensitive, so if your source isn't very low impedance, the frequency response can get funky.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 5
The IEMs themselves seem solid. (I've been using them for daily commutes for a few months now.) The cables are not, and also the cables do not connect as solidily as they should, so it's possible for the IEM to become disconnected. If you think the MD+ are otherwise a good choice for you, just factor in the cost of replacing the cable when you get it.

One additional thing to be aware of is that they're impedance sensitive, so if your source isn't very low impedance, the frequency response can get funky.
Would they work with an iPhone? I normally use an iPhone for music when I’m not at home.

Oct 3, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 5

A $300 iem that you have to immediately purchase new cables for? Sounds Awesome.

Oct 3, 2018 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 5
Would they work with an iPhone? I normally use an iPhone for music when I’m not at home.

If you're using, like, an iPhone SE headphone jack, impedance will impact the frequency response. You may notice bass bloat. It's not severe, and I will use my Plus with my iPHone some of the time, but for best results you would want to use something like an iFi IEMatch -- but that's another added expense, and the IEMatch is a pretty fragile device, so not great for daily commute use.

A $300 iem that you have to immediately purchase new cables for? Sounds Awesome.

Yeah, exactly. They're good IEMs, but they come with too many caveats for their price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back