Massdrop HD 6xx: Too much PUNCH and SLAM!
Mar 24, 2023 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Maximus Pain

100+ Head-Fier
Hello again.

I find my HD 6xx too punchy in their current configuration. Let me eloborate.

Gear
Wiim Pro via LAN > 4' Mediabridge Coaxial > Bifrost 2 > CableDirect 25' RCA > Darkvoice 336SE (stock) > HD 6xx with Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin Pads

Tubes
1. Winged "C" 6AS7G + Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB:
Clear but super punchy bass. Best overall but still too impactful. Feels very unbalanced.

2. Winged "C" 6AS7G + Electro-Harmonix 6SN7EH:
Less punchy but still enjoyable. Bass starts to break up a bit.

3. RCA 6080 + Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB:
Cleaner than the tube combination above but still too punchy.

4. RCA 6080 +Electro-Harmonix 6SN7EH:
Punchy but increased distortion in the lower registers. Worst combination of all.

Just too punchy and overall. Punchy as in exaggerated bass. Sometimes very clean, depending on tubes, but always exaggerated. I rather not use EQ since I'm so close to the sound I'm looking for with tube combination 1. Just need to find the best way to balance out the bass.

Options
1. Pad roll HD 6xx:
Pad roll the Dekoni line of pads until I find the correct bass response?

2. Upgrade my cheap cables:
I don't think the problem lies here.

3. Mod the Darkvoice 336SE:
I plan to, just not yet. Not until I can figure out these exaggerated bass issues.

4. Use EQ in the Wiim Pro:
I don't want to get stuck in the endless EQ loop again.

5. Look for a different set of headphones:
I'd like to try and make these work first.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,
Maximus Pain

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 12
Why 'endless EQ' loop?

Set and forget. You say you are close to the sound you want so surely very subtle EQ is the cheapest and least complicated way of getting there no?

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 12
Why 'endless EQ' loop?

Set and forget. You say you are close to the sound you want so surely very subtle EQ is the cheapest and least complicated way of getting there no?
Maybe set and forget to you, not for me. I'm not going to Band-Aid an obvious problem.

Mar 24, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 12
I would go back to the stock ear pads first, then try EQ. I’ve read a number of posts about increased bass on Dekoni ear pads with HD6XX/HD650.
Agreed. I need to find the stock pads first. Think they are in the attic somewhere, lol.

Mar 24, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #8 of 12
Dial back the volume? Or they're just simply not the headphones for you. HD6xx/650 do have a bit of mid-bass hump that you'll either love or hate.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 12
To play devil's advocate, I know it's the last thing you want to do, but mods cost $ and result in frustration, as does pad rolling and most solutions. Hate to say it but why not just play with EQ? You obviously really know your stuff and should be able to find an acceptable EQ pretty easily? And for free.

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #10 of 12
Dial back the volume? Or they're just simply not the headphones for you. HD6xx/650 do have a bit of mid-bass hump that you'll either love or hate.
That's actually the first thing I tried. Lowered the volume and listened at lower levels until my ears got use to it but still. I may be on the "hate it" side. I do have to try the stock pads again. Having a hard time finding them.

Mar 26, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #11 of 12
To play devil's advocate, I know it's the last thing you want to do, but mods cost $ and result in frustration, as does pad rolling and most solutions. Hate to say it but why not just play with EQ? You obviously really know your stuff and should be able to find an acceptable EQ pretty easily? And for free.
Hey, no synergy?....your headphones sound like crap?......no problem. Just EQ the ever living shyte out of them until you reach audio nirvana...........

This seems to be the general consensus.

Just in case you didn't know. EQ can also be used as a last resort or not at all with the right setup. Especially when using the same source for various audio systems. Having to go back into an app to EQ when switching between systems is not fun and takes away from the listening experience. At least for me. Some might enjoy it but I detest it. I find tube rolling a lot more fun. Fun, now that's an interesting concept in this hobby which should be applied more often.

Now lets see how many more people recommend EQ. LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back