Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Mar 1, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #2,746 of 6,783
LMAO. I'm excited.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,747 of 6,783
LMAO. I'm excited.

Listen to these for like 5 minutes, and then just don't touch them for two days while playing music to them, seriously. lol. Keep burning until you hear a very noticeable difference in bass levels. You can tell if you push them into your ears. If they sound as strong as when they aren't being squeezed into your head, they've made the change.

Coming from a Jergpad modded HE-500 myself, you will be disappointed unless you do.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #2,748 of 6,783
After this little epiphany moment of yours, what's your opinion on the headphone now? Lol

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,749 of 6,783
After this little epiphany moment of yours, what's your opinion on the headphone now? Lol

Much better. They actually do sound like they belong in the $200-300 range now.

I'm making a trip to NYC on the train today, so I can see how they hold up off a weak amped Nexus 5. This is where I think they'll continue to struggle. A portable headphone should be... portable, without needing to take amps or need a separate DAP. I have to keep a work phone and personal cell at all times. A third DAP to carry along is not an option, not when I have 50+ other headphones/earphones I can use instead.

If they made an over-ear, listening station type headphone made a little more comfortable out of these, they would be a killer.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #2,750 of 6,783
  It took 50+ hours straight of burn in, but I'm finally a believer.

Literally overnight, the sound changed quite a bit. A 30hz tone which barely even registered before, has bumped itself up by a good 4db. I'm normally very VMMV with burn in claims, but I've never heard such a drastic change from one day to another on any piece of audio equipment. It's not perception either, as you'll read on.

I'm a clarity basshead. I was understanding the thin bass complaints before. It just wasn't as resolving as claimed, and I was scratching my head wondering how people could think there was enough bass. Now I understand. They actually do now where they didn't before. This is the perfect amount now. I had to push and hold the pads into my ears to get this bass level before, which I desired. Now I don't even need to.

Almost every complaint I had has literally disappeared overnight. They still aren't as neutral as I'd like around 4-8khz, but it does sound great. They give an enhancement to vocals which can be nicely desired. Damn What. This is just with a Sabre 9023 + SMSL 1+1W.

There should be a huge disclaimer on these. They should not be used until they hit this change, no matter if it takes 20 hours or 200. It sounds like a completely different headphone, and you'll know when it happens.

I'm pretty sure pata recommended 200 hours of burn-in. 
rolleyes.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #2,751 of 6,783

Literally overnight, the sound changed quite a bit. A 30hz tone which barely even registered before, has bumped itself up by a good 4db. I'm normally very VMMV with burn in claims, but I've never heard such a drastic change from one day to another on any piece of audio equipment. It's not perception either, as you'll read on.

I'm a clarity basshead. I was understanding the thin bass complaints before. It just wasn't as resolving as claimed, and I was scratching my head wondering how people could think there was enough bass. Now I understand. They actually do now where they didn't before. This is the perfect amount now. I had to push and hold the pads into my ears to get this bass level before, which I desired. Now I don't even need to.

Almost every complaint I had has literally disappeared overnight. They still aren't as neutral as I'd like around 4-8khz, but it does sound great. They give an enhancement to vocals which can be nicely desired. Damn What. This is just with a Sabre 9023 + SMSL 1+1W.

There should be a huge disclaimer on these. They should not be used until they hit this change, no matter if it takes 20 hours or 200. It sounds like a completely different headphone, and you'll know when it happens.

Ummmm, we told you so did we not?
wink_face.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #2,753 of 6,783

I agree 100%!  That is exactly what happened to mine, and then later on with me it was the ride cymbals on a couple of tracks had smoothed out and gained insight and resolution..  It was like I had never heard that track before before.  It does the same thing in the upper mids/lower treble as it does in the bass.  Hard to put into words, but it almost seems to "autocorrect" it's sound as it goes on through the process.   I have never heard anything like it before.....on anything!!

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #2,755 of 6,783
  I agree 100%!  That is exactly what happened to mine, and then later on with me it was the ride cymbals on a couple of tracks had smoothed out and gained insight and resolution..  It was like I had never heard that track before before.  It does the same thing in the upper mids/lower treble as it does in the bass.  Hard to put into words, but it almost seems to "autocorrect" it's sound as it goes on through the process.   I have never heard anything like it before.....on anything!!

I've set up hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment for amphitheaters, and I make my own speakers for fun, which go through hundreds of measurements to determine proper crossovers, distortion levels, phase, etc. I've noticed burn in before, rarely, mostly based on perception, but not at the level these changed.

I wish I had a way to measure this, as my calib equipment can't accurately measure a headphone/earphone.

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #2,756 of 6,783
That's why I say 50 hours is important/a must. 200 hours or whatever may be some more tweaks or refinement but around 50 hours is when the critical junction or turning point happens from quite nice to "hello there".

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,758 of 6,783
I just got ahold of these and I'm really diggin the sound. Really looking forward to burning them in and pitting then against some other headphones. Tha being said I had a question about the fit and I didn't want to sift through 100 pages to find the answer.

I know it's been discussed quite a bit and I read some of the thread, but I can't tell if they just don't fit me correctly of if it's how they fit on the ears. The swivel action constantly creates a feeling of them rotating off my ears a bit and I'm constantly readjusting them to make sure I'm getting the correct seal and not losing any sound.

Do these sit confidently on your ears or are they supposed to take pressure off the back of your ears by rotating towards where your ear and jaw connect?

I know that's confusing. Basically the entire weight of the phone sits close to the front of the ear/jaw bone leaving an uneasy feeling with the swivel where the actual speaker sits on your ear. I don't really have an issue with pressure or clamping but they just don't stay put and rotate so easily I feel like its just a terrible design.

Sorry about the long post. It's a little hard to explain but if someone could shed some light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated!!

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #2,759 of 6,783
@bhazard , very happy for your revelation. Tell me about it, I've got such satisfying sound coming out of the 90's and c&c bh amp after 70 hours, that I'm not sure I want to risk the bass-ectomy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back