Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Jan 30, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #676 of 6,783
  Great job guys, this headphone deserves some hype. I didn't get mine yet, but I just finished ordering it and will get it tomorrow. Expect some harsh impressions (harsh because I will not give them burn-in), but I will give them the chance as I did with the re700s. It better wow me the first time i hear it though. 
wink.gif

No need for burn in.  The sound needs getting used to though.  You may hate them as I did out of the box!

Jan 30, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #677 of 6,783
  No need for burn in.  The sound needs getting used to though.  You may hate them as I did out of the box!

Burn in or mental burn in...who cares which one is real...the end result is the same.
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #678 of 6,783
I have received my second pair of Mikros 90. I will do a comparison with my original set and see if burn-in exists or matters?

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #679 of 6,783
  Hey guys!
Who can chime in on this one--maybe again?
From my experience/comparison, the Mikros 90 uniformly crushes the M500.  On the "sonic bang-for-the-buck" scale: MLs worth every penny at MSRP of $300.  KEFs worth maybe $99.  Paid $80 for my Mikros 90 and $250 for the M500.  Promptly sold the KEFs.
In all fairness, my outboard monitors are KEFs and my subwoofer is a Martin Logan.  
wink.gif

"Uniformly crushes"???  "KEFs worth maybe $99"???

Sigh. Seriously?

If you are being serious, then I gotta say you're M500 bashing is silly and you are quickly losing credibility with me. You said your piece before, so what's the point now?Just trolling to get some attention? 

If you are just joking around, then my apologies.

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #680 of 6,783

"Uniformly crushes"???  "KEFs worth maybe $99"???

Sigh. Seriously?

If you are being serious, then I gotta say you're M500 bashing is silly and you are quickly losing credibility with me. You said your piece before, so what's the point now?Just trolling to get some attention? 

Or maybe that's exactly how he hears things. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:42 PM Post #681 of 6,783
Hey guys.
I'm interested in Martin Logan Mikros 90. But I'm considering also the Sennheiser Amperior, do you know the differences? Which is better?
I owned only IEM before, and I want to make the jump to headphones!
Thank you all for attention :)

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #682 of 6,783
WW:
If my impressions cost me credibility with you or anyone else, then so be it.  (Losing credibility with my wife, now that would matter to me.)
Read my review if you haven't already.  
Look at my signature.  I just sold the HE-6 because I strongly preferred the Mikros 90.  Does that make me a "HifiMAN basher"?
I am stating my perceptions/impressions/opinions.  They needn't be yours or anyone else's.
How about "For me, the Mikros 90 significantly better the M500 in virtually every critical aspect of listenability"? 
Some counter-weight to balance out the M500 trumpeteers, who are "trollers" in their own right. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #683 of 6,783

Or maybe that's exactly how he hears things. 

Maybe - we'll see. I'm not yet convinced he was being serious. If so, then imo it's just hyperbole.

Have you heard the M500's? And if so, do you feel the same way? I wonder if anyone other than pataburd thinks the M500's are worth "maybe $99". Lol.

Edit: I see now that pataburd was being serious. Sigh.

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #685 of 6,783

Maybe - we'll see. I'm not yet convinced he was being serious. If so, then imo it's just hyperbole.

Have you heard the M500's? And if so, do you feel the same way? I wonder if anyone other than pataburd thinks the M500's are worth "maybe $99". Lol.

Edit: I see now that pataburd was being serious. Sigh.

No, I have not heard the M500.  I don't know if the M500s are worth $300...and I don't know if they sound like $300 headphones.

I purchased the V-MODA M-80s when they were around $200 and I didn't think they were worth $10, yet some people love that model and would be willing to pay the full retail price.  Take everything with a grain of salt in this site since we all hear things differently and we all have different preferences.

The crazy thing is that the Mikros 90s goes for around $99 and they are definitely worth more.   

Jan 30, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #686 of 6,783

I purchased the V-MODA M-80s when they were around $200 and I didn't think they were worth $10, yet some people love that model and would be willing to pay the full retail price.  Take everything with a grain of salt in this site since we all hear things differently and we all have different preferences.  

Good advice. Everyone can voice their own opinion I know, but sometimes it seems done in a way to evoke controversy, and occassionally I get sucked in.

Quote:

The crazy thing is that the Mikros 90s goes for around $99 and they are definitely worth more.   

From everything I've read, I agree.  They sound like winners with a non-stock cable, and assuming that the clamping force can be lessened.

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:09 PM Post #688 of 6,783

From everything I've read, I agree.  They sound like winners with a non-stock cable, and assuming that the clamping force can be lessened.

Not to mention, people will blame pataburd for stating such "lies". It's not a lie as there will be people who hear that, but there will be disappointed buyers that would have wanted the kefs instead, and will disregard pata's opinions later on. 

That's why I am conservative with my hype. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:47 PM Post #689 of 6,783
I had a couple of sessions with KEF, and I own Mikros 90. While I am not sure I would pay 300 for ML, I certainly wouldn't pay 300 for KEF, even at 99 I would be very hesitated. I have stated before, I have the same opinion regarding KEF M500, that is their emphasis on sound signature and the realization of that in the end product is just simple not on the same level. KEF sounds very good to a degree, it is something pleasing yet extremely boring, like all the "fun", "midfi" product.

As for the soundstage, Mikros 90 does it with so much elasticity in regard to different recordings, I can hardly give the edge to KEF here. It's like what they say about cans that have a big soundstage sometimes don't convey intimacy well. It could be a very tricky thing. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 6:51 PM Post #690 of 6,783
  WW:
If my impressions cost me credibility with you or anyone else, then so be it.  (Losing credibility with my wife, now that would matter to me.)
Read my review if you haven't already.  
Look at my signature.  I just sold the HE-6 because I strongly preferred the Mikros 90.  Does that make me a "HifiMAN basher"?
I am stating my perceptions/impressions/opinions.  They needn't be yours or anyone else's.
How about "For me, the Mikros 90 significantly better the M500 in virtually every critical aspect of listenability"? 
Some counter-weight to balance out the M500 trumpeteers, who are "trollers" in their own right. 

Im going to try the Mikros 90 one day but I highly highly doubt it can beat a properly amped HE-6. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back