Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Apr 5, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #6,781 of 6,782
it is not bizarre the K240 is made with a set of passive tuned resonators inside, it help for the bass but more for perceiving spatial qualities as in imaging. And the timbre is more natural...
It is why i prefer my K240 to all my other headphones ...
But i inserted on it and outside materials to damp it and attenuate any resonance of the shell chamber ..

The K340 is on another level completely for me... I modified it more to make it work optimal... Inside too there is a set of tuned passive resonators but the shell here is a dual chamber and act as in a room the reflected waves so necessary to recreate spatial qualities from speakers...
the K340 crush the K240 in timbre naturalness, deep bass, and a stuninng "out of the head" perception when the acoustic recorded album is done in a well control hall or church in particular...it is better than most speakers...

I only use the K240 so good it is for documentary and movie... For music i use the K340 ...There is no comparison between the two in spite of the same tuned resonators technology... Two working cells instead on one made a huge difference.

But BEWARE there is no comparison between the K340 non optimized right out of the box and mine ...It takes me 6 months to reach this level.... It is the more complex designed headphones . An hybrid with 5 tuned resonators, two cells one dynamic and one electrostat, and one crossover all that distributed on a line which create a dual chamber . Creating this headphone costed time and money and a genius , Dr. Gorike a physicist and an acoustician founder of AKG . It is certainly the best headphone they created ...I dont even need to hear all the others... :)

I asked a person working for Kennerton the Russiam creators of many TOP headphones why they do not make an hybrid like the AKG K340. he said to me they tried but abandonned it because it is too costlier in research if we want to create a TOP product of this type , too costlier to assemble and not enough profit at the end process .

Then i learned why AKG K340 is and was the only hybrid on the market ...

The Dharma do not compare because it is a dynamic cell with a supertweeter working way over 10,000 hertz if i remember it is not really two cells working together around 4,000 hertz one over and the other under 4,000 hertz.. And there is no complex dual shell chamber with 5 passive tuned resonators to make possible a perfect separation between the mids and the bass ...And the K340 goes very deep ... I felt the bassier note of an organ with my feet and body by bones resonance ..

I disliked all headphones...

The only one i can like is my K340...

By the way i tried to upgrade my top Sansui Au 607i from the alpha series and bought one of the best tube amplifier for headphone on the marketto drive it. i lost much money with the cost of the return fees. The K340 ask for a powerful but very synergetical amplification.. This is all the reasons why there is few negative reviews of it by people who tried this old 40 years old product without understanding how it work with the wrong conditions. But the positive reviews are way more numerous for sure.

i think only perhaps the RAAL could beat it ... but i paid the K340 100 bucks and i am not sure at all that the RAAL will beat it on all aqcoustic factors : deep bass , natural timbre, "out of the head" soundstage... Then i will die with it ....

Wow, thanks for that information. I have the K240 LP's (un-modded) but not the K340's. Now, how do I get you to provide me a wonderfully modded pair of these K340's lol!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back