Marshmellow Mods?
Sep 14, 2007 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Prozakk

Banned
I want to get some JVC Marshmellows friday for non-critical listening (lawn mowing/exercise/etc).

I read here of a few mods....

For those here that have modded them, what did YOU do?

And any pics???

Sep 14, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 28
Sep 14, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #4 of 28
just remove the whole gray sleeve.

I heard about some mod shortening the tubes but I didn't know how to do it and I had no way to shorten them so I only did these two mods.

Sep 14, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #7 of 28
If you remove the soft-ish gray sleeve over the post, anything that fits the Shure E2c fits the Marshmallow. I use the smallest, softest E2c tips (the "black olives"). Ebay seller "idealsound" has a pretty full range of tips; just make sure you're looking at tips that particularly fit the E2c.

If you remove the paper baffle, you'll want to replace it with some foam because the highs will be very forward and harsh (to my ears anyway). I used foam from some earpads as Kramer suggested; packing the foam more densely quiets the treble range more. But even with dense foam, I don't perceive as much bass as with the original paper baffle (I'm not anywhere near sure about that). You might want to leave it in place and experiment with tips first.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #8 of 28
I was planning on replacing the tips with the Shure Orange Foam Sleeves. What I am wondering what size is the same size as the Marshmallow tips? Small, Medium or Large?

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 28
I posted my Marshmallow mod in the Portable section....I'm reposting them here.

I'm too cheap to buy tips for my Marshmallows, so I modified ear plugs to fit.

DSC_13280001.jpg

The tips starts out as plain ear plugs that I found at Target for about $5

31G5T6XCWSL._SS500_.jpg

They are hollow on the inside , but closed off at the ends.
You take off top section of the xmas tree.....Just cut that part off with a razor and there is a hole there.
Cut the other side as follows:
DSC_13330001.jpg

These are really comfortable for me... and they isolate pretty well as well.

DSC_13340001.jpg

I just did the Kramer mod as well. Took out the paper and inserted foam ....
Wires shortened with 2.5mm(1/8in) plugs for use with my Treo 700p

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #10 of 28
I've wanted to try the Kramer mod but never got around to it. Let me know what you think Prozakk if you do any mods. I wish the Shure E4 foam tips fit because I have about 8 pairs.

Sep 14, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 28
I took the tube out from the centre of my small shure black foams, they slid on but were a little loose so i put the tiniest amount of glue on them to keep them in place. Easy to remove with some force, any excess foam stuck to them can be scraped off. A little effort but a big difference! I'll stick some pics up tomorrow, look pretty much stock.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've wanted to try the Kramer mod but never got around to it. Let me know what you think Prozakk if you do any mods. I wish the Shure E4 foam tips fit because I have about 8 pairs.

Once I get my PK2's sold I plan on buying some e2c foamies. I've got them breaking in now.
eggosmile.gif
I'm not sure I'd want to Kramer 'em. I'm digging the bass already.
cool.gif

I'll keep you posted, pal!
wink.gif

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #13 of 28
Well....

I'm using the treble reducer iPod eq setting. Too harsh in the upper mids and treble to listen without my iPod set that way.

They keep losing the seal though. After about 15 minutes I have to take 'em out then compress then reinsert. What a pain! Speaking of pain, they do NOT feel comfortable in my right ear at all. Hopefully new foam will cure these problems.

The bass...I can tollerate my rap again (PK2's just had no bottom octave). But I am a former car audio compeditor....

Sep 15, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prozakk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well....

I'm using the treble reducer iPod eq setting. Too harsh in the upper mids and treble to listen without my iPod set that way.

So, they're too bright to you stock (no mods)? I think if you try other tips(foam), they'll fit better. The stock tips work for me but just barely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back