Marshmallows were flavor of the month? Whats the $20 IEM of choice these days?
Sep 21, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 9
...Creative EP-610 and EP-630? They were favorite cheapies too.

Furthermore, the bass-heavy Marshmallows gave me a headache after a few minutes of listening... Guess it was because I was turning it up, trying to get enough mids out of them - everything was drowned out by the bass.

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Soundmagic PL30 ($23 - mp4nation.net)
Soundmagic PL21 ($22 - dealperfect.com)
Meelectronics AI-M9 ($18 - overstock.com)
Lenntek Sonix ($20-smalldog.com)

Four (very) different sound signatures; four different budget champs (IMO). All of them blow the Marshmallows out of the water.

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Furthermore, the bass-heavy Marshmallows gave me a headache after a few minutes of listening... Guess it was because I was turning it up, trying to get enough mids out of them - everything was drowned out by the bass.

My Marshmallows were bassy and muddy when I bought them, but when I EQ'd my iPod to "acoustic," the balance was quite nice. I don't use them as my first choice (My favorites are my UM3X) but it's nice to know you can find a workable solution with a $20 pair of earphones.

Sep 21, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarageBoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What, none of the big brands do well under $20?

Plenty, but you asked for the FOTM, which means the best, not the merely acceptable. The JVC Air Cushions and Skullcandy Ink'ds are fine for the price, but they aren't shockingly good, and do not warrant fotm status.

Sep 21, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

try the kramer mod on the marshmellows, I was all about done with them til I thought why the hell not. After the mod the mid/highs definitely came forward though I'm still in the midst of fine tuning them. Treble's the one giving me the headache now but I'm pleased
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back