Marshmallows' tips falling off, now what?
Jul 31, 2009 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nachodlv

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I've been a happy user of a pair of "Kramered" JVC Marshmallows, but tips are starting to come off my canals everytime I pull them off. I'm quite happy with their SQ (I use them with Iphone 2G) although on must admit that mids are very recessed even modded. Music I hear to is absolutely everything yo can imaging with the exception of Top 40 pop. Jazz, Classical, Metal, Rock... you name it.

I guess if I like the Marsh, I could just replece those and Kramer them again, or get some Comply replacement tips.
However:

1.- JVC Marsh. are no longer available in my area
2.- Comply tips for Marsh. are only available in mid-size and I'm using a mix of large and mid OEM tips (right and left ear).

Any suggestions? I've read very positive reviews on Sleek Audio's SA6, but they are a bit over my price target. Any thoughts on something around $150-175? Any opinions regarding the Ultimate Ears range? How'bout NME7's?

Final question, any good place to buy IEM's in Boston Downtown (got a friend around there)?

TY.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 5
Whoa, your price range is all over the place. NE-7M's are $55 and I doubt you'll find them in any retail stores.

Search the forums for threads on "best IEM under $xxx" and you'll get a dozen hits. The ones I'd try would be the HA-FX500's ($140), Phonak PFEs ($112 today, $138 normally) , or Head-Direct RE0s ($99). If you want to spend less then Nuforce NE-7M ($55), Maximo Im-590 ($50), or ADDIEMs ($32).

If you like kramered marshmallows, you are probably used to bloated bass, so keep that in mind when considering your upgrade. A lot of nice phones will sound bass-anemic to you.

Jul 31, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 5
If only your tips are wearing off and your marshmallows are still fine, then try the Orange Shure e2c foamies with them (or alternatively UE grey foams). It fits the Marshmallow canal fine and it'll help a bit with the high/mid presentation since the material is less dense than the stock marshmallow tips.

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 5
Since you listen to everything and want an IEM for around 150.... I would say to go ahead and look at the reviews of the PFE 112s. I have them (micless version) and love them. There is a humongous appreciation thread (just search for it) and they have some very good information there.

They come with 2 types of filters; one for mids/bass and one for treble emphasis. I have some and love them; however if you are using them out of a portable player (which I'm guessing you are) then you might want to look at a portable amp. They bring out the best in the PFEs.

Nov 4, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #5 of 5
Thx and sorry for my late (very late) answer. Kept using the JVC's until y'day. I just put some super-glue on the tips and... worked fine. Now I've got the Klipsch Image X1/S2 which are looking fine. Yes, again recessed mids and highs (they are supposed to open up a bit following burn-in) and a bit more civilised bass dept. Y looked for the Phonaks but no luck around my place (Madrid, Spain). Same happens for the spare tips... no dealers of those over here.

Ty.

PS. will post my feelings towards the X1 as sson as they are thru the 50 hours burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back