Marshmallows or the KSC75s??
Mar 4, 2007 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dissembled

Headphoneus Supremus
Unfortunately, wiring problems has made my ER6s almost unusable while commuting. Whenever the connection to the plug housing is rustled, no sound emits from one of the buds.
mad.gif

Don't have a CLUE about soldering two bits together and will have it fixed by one member here.

Until that happens, I'm thinking of buying the KSC75s as a replacement.

How big is the difference, really? I fear I'll hate the 75s because it'll feel A LOT less intimate than my Etys.
frown.gif

With the Etys, the music is injected directly to my ear canal. MEH...With the 75s, it'll just seem like they're 2 huge speakers on my ears.
mad.gif

MEH. Anywho...I'm wondering if I should fork money to the Marshmallows instead. Tell me....Are (UNMODDED) KSC75s sonically superior to STOCK Marshmallows?

I guess sound quality is more important to me in the end.

Thanks.

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #2 of 14
Marshmallows are fun, but you have to burn them in before getting the correct sound. You can also mod them by removing the paper filter and replacing it by foam and/or changing the original eartips. It will open the highs and attenuate the bass a little bit. The isolation is OK, but far from the greatness of true IEMs. I have never heard the KSC75s, but they're open headphones so you can't really compare them to the Marshmallows...

Mar 4, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #3 of 14
I've heard them both. Marshmallows (with the right fit) have more low end impact. KSC75's more open and brighter. Where I use them - in a noisy gym - the marshmallows are my choice.

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #5 of 14
For me, it's gotta be the MMs, even though I'll probably never try the 75s. WHY? Cause I prefer the in-ear style over earbuds, ear clips, etc.

These two are physically opposite. Not really (IMO) comparable.

Steve

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 14
what? no option for both?

FX33s just for beaters if I don't feel like taking out the ES2s outside, and KSC-75s for those rare running sessions.
tongue.gif

I really can't choose between the two; they're both great dirt cheap phones.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #7 of 14
I have spare ETY ER6 silicone tips. Anyone know if this can fit on the mellows???

PART: ER6-14 http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6-acc.aspx

ALSO: different SILICONE sleeves (CX300/UE/SHURES) can be just slipped on with no further modification?

Thanks.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 14
with a lot of work, they should fit. someone put Shure E4 sleeves on FX33s. also tips from super.fis or Shure E2 will fit because of the larger tubing.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by camille /img/forum/go_quote.gif
with a lot of work, they should fit..

So further modification will be necessary for some tips? But Super.Fi/Shure E2 silicone will fit right in?

How about Cx300 sleeves?

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #10 of 14
jeeze, I have the marshmallows for a couple days. These things are crazy. The dynamics are very good. I like the isolation and the sound signature. I like a more intimate, lush sound, and therefore I would go for the marshmallows over ksc75.

I have a emu 1212m> zhaolu cs4398 > mpx3 slam > akg k701 setup, but I've been using the mallows straight out of my laptop since i've had them.

Mar 4, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssingh0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
jeeze, I have the marshmallows for a couple days. These things are crazy. The dynamics are very good. I like the isolation and the sound signature. I like a more intimate, lush sound, and therefore I would go for the marshmallows over ksc75.

I have a emu 1212m> zhaolu cs4398 > mpx3 slam > akg k701 setup, but I've been using the mallows straight out of my laptop since i've had them.

You're using the stock tips, I'm guessing. Are they comfortable? Some people say that they feel like corks.
plainface.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:06 AM Post #12 of 14
stock tips. yes, they're uncomfortable after a short period. Pretty sure they've made the entrance to my ear canal wider

ps i'm not saying these can come close to acheiving what my home rig does, but with the worser quality recordings i have, where the k701's don't hide the ugliness, or where i need isolation, the marshmallows are great because of the price point.

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 14
KSC75 is without a doubt the winner if all you want is SQ. But where they aren't practical, Marshmallows fill in the gap nicely. I don't know why the choice between the two, if you keep an eye out for sales, you could have both for under $30.

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 14
apples / oranges.... different physical designs for different applications.

sonically the KSC trounces the stock FX33, its not even close. Modded, they are much closer, but the KSC75 will still beat them IMHO.

FX33 beats the KSC for night time sleeping. I've fallen asleep ON mine 2-3 dozen times... they are very durable and comfy, although the tips wear out and you can't get replacements from JVC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back