Marshall Monitor Bluetooth
May 1, 2017 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Blinxat

500+ Head-Fier
Hi!

Anyone heard of these yet?

Frequency graph looks reasonably good:

les_nums_marshall_monitor_crf.jpg

the previous monitor headphones were said to be very mid centric.

May 13, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 22
Yes, I am considering to buy either this or it's wired version but I'm not quite sure about a couple of things...

To be honest if I had the bluetooth, I would mostly use it with the wire still because sound quality is pretty much everything to me.
The reason for me why I might opt for bluetooth is because it enables me to move more freely during sports which I do for about 6 hours a week.
Also (if i'm correct) with the bluetooth one, there's a button which you can use for changing volume, tracks, etc. and the normal version you can only change tracks.

I do wonder, if you use the bluetooth version with it's wire, can you still use the button on the ear-cup to change tracks, volume, answer calls, etc? While ofcourse still having the quality of the wired version.

The last thing I wanted to ask is about amps. Does using an (portable) amp improve sound quality and volume when using it with these headphones and a phone/ laptop?
If it does I might consider buying such a thing from marshall.

Last edited:
May 26, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #3 of 22
Any other opinions on these? They are currently 50% the price in Denmark, so I was wondering if anyone has tried them? I'm currently using the B&W P7 wireless, and have previously used the Beoplay H7 and other Beoplay models.

Aug 18, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 22
WARNING

FAKE Marshall Monitor Bluetooth Headphones appeared on Ebay

You might get a fake pair that are now on the market, symptoms of the fake:

1) Usb type-A connector has white insert instead of black.
2) The metal spring on the audio cable is stretched, there should be no gaps.
3) Audio connector is flush with the case, it should stick out a bit.
4) Wires that go from the cups are thinner and there are 4-5 turns instead of 6-7.
5) Sound quality is relatively bad comparing with about anything, no Apt-X, static noise in the right cup.

Got a partial refund and kept the fakes probably should've destroyed them but whatever.
Won't be using them anyway, the static noise makes them borderline unusable.

Serial numbers and labels:

1) Barcode on the box: 73400553329966
2) MODEL: MONITOR BLUETOOTH
3) IC: 11153A-MONITOR
4) FCC ID: 2AAGF-MONITOR
5) QR code: 1702A002533
6) INPUT 5V 500mA
7) Small chip: PAMP8908 AUB8B (stereo headphone amplifier)
8) Large chip: VIMICRO WX WS9623ADSFF 25PC7GAT 1301743 (Bluetooth Headset IC)
9) Battery: JEZ 602040 3.7V 400 mAh

Barcode on the box:

IMG_20180818_180719.jpg

Cables - stretched spring and white insert in the USB:

IMG_20180818_181005.jpg

Audio connector is flush with the case:

IMG_20180818_181300.jpg

Cups with chipped paint:

PO4Bt15.jpg

Right cup, PCB, front:

IMG_20180818_182055.jpg

PCB, rear:

IMG_20180818_182746.jpg

PCB, macro 1:

IMG_20180818_182930.jpg

PCB, macro 2:

IMG_20180818_182950.jpg

Left cup, 400 mAh battery:

IMG_20180818_183733.jpg

Both cups, look precisely the same as the real ones. Gold impression on one side only is NOT a sign of fake.

EF8SdeBh.jpg

Full album is here https://imgur.com/a/vDICsAI

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #6 of 22
Tried shielding amplifier and bluetooth ic with aluminum foil, doesn't seem to help at all. The noise is very audible, especially in quiet places and for a few seconds before powering off when there's no source. The sound is very similar to (astonishigly bad) Bluedio H-Turbine headphones that I happen to have (disassembled them too, see https://imgur.com/a/tiPutt3). They use another bluetooth chip, IS2020 (though some Bluedio use WS9623 as well), and the SAME amplifier - PAM8908, so it might be the culprit. I only have that scratching backround noise on those two (apparently very poorly engineered) headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 22
Hello friends,

I've bought a pair of Marshall Monitor Bluetooth headphones in a big retailer with more than a hundred stores in Portugal. But I think the pair that I get could be a fake because there's no golden letters under right pad and the QR code is not valid...

aCOfq5Sr.jpg

6HWwslKr.jpg

cHAUtMer.jpg

N5VEVpwr.jpg

What do you think? The sound is great and it's hard to believe that this store sold fake products, because it's the bigger in Portugal. Media Markt and Fnac also sold Marshall, but they don't wanna open the boxes :)

Thank you and I hope not bothering you... :)

Dec 11, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #9 of 22
Looks fine to me. The coil, the 3.5 socket, QR code reads fine too (1711A018666, whatever that means). Please open it and post PCB pictures it's impossible to judge according to the exterior really.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 22
@joric Thanks for the answer. I'm gonna not take the risk by opening the headphones because I must return them to the store today. I just wanted to know if the fact that they did not have the gold impression on the inside of both sides was a sign of fake item.

Thank you.

Dec 11, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #11 of 22
That gold impression under the earcup and the fact one half lacks it doesn't mean crap. It doesn't have to be symmetrical. Your pair looks 100% real judging just by the spring on the cable connector. Here are the real ones there's no gold letters either (at 2:34):

My fakes had tremendously bad sound and constant static noise that no way in hell could pass Marshall quality control (they also were dirt cheap). Disassemble them and if they have the same PCB as mine they're fake. I also have to reiterate the signs of the fake, apparenty:

1) Usb type-A connector has white insert instead of black.
2) The metal spring on the audio cable is stretched, there should be no gaps.
3) Audio connector is flush with the case, it should stick out a bit.
4) Wires that go from the cups are thinner and there are 4-5 turns instead of 6-7.
5) Sound quality is relatively bad comparing with about anything, no Apt-X, static noise in the right cup.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #13 of 22
Just received an answer from my email to Marshall support:

Hi,

(...)
It is very difficult for us to determine if your product is authentic or not via email, however it appears to be so.

Please know that the Serial Number provides production information only and does not include any sales or purchase details, we are not able to acquire any details from the Serial Number and therefore cannot use it to determine sales information.
(...)

Kind regards,

Marshall Support
www.marshallheadphones.com

So, I also can use AptX with my Monitor's. I will assume they are originals. :beyersmile:

Dec 11, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 22
Hell I don't know. Maybe reviews are fake too. Maybe there are several revisions of fake ones and several revisions of real ones. DIsassemble them for gods sake and post PCB macros here. I'd just stay away from all Marshall headphones now (those monitor headphones suck anyway, they're too small to be comfortable).

Dec 12, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #15 of 22
@joric you look like a Marshall hater, lol :) of course yours Momentum BT 2.0 are in another level, and another price too!

Just to whom it may concern, I received another reply, this time from Marshall's Facebook page:
Based on the QR, these do appear to be authentic Monitor Bluetooth. There were 2 production runs, so there might be some slight differences among different products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back