Marshall Major III (wired)
Jul 21, 2018 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

israelregardie

New Head-Fier
So, my beloved Marshall Major I finally gave out. The plastic had been cracking and bits had fallen off and I had taped and glued them, but eventually they fell apart.
Those headphones had changed my (audio) life. They changed music for me. I had never heard better, fuller sound. It made my life a better life as I knew I could put those bad boys on and immerse myself fully in great music.

So I bought the Marshall Major III. I was gonna get the bluetooth ones with additional cable, so I could use them on my guitar amp, but the store sold the kind with a cable and no bluetooth somewhat cheaper.

But my heart sank as I plugged them in. The sound was less warm, there was less bass, at times the sound is almost jarring with its treble.

Am I crazy here? How could the III be worse than the I? It makes no sense. Sure, some sounds are better, I can hear parts of the music I didnt hear before, but overall the sound it worse. I keep checking to see if I forgot to plug them in, at times the sound it comparable to listening to (old) laptop speakers.
I know the Marshalls are not audiophiles favourites. I know a lot of you hate them. But I loved, loved, loved the Marshall Majors I so clearly I like the sound they go for.
But did they change their audio profile for the latest versions? Or is there something wrong with my headphones?

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 6
Buy another pair?
https://www.ebay.com/p/Marshall-Major-Headband-Headphones-Black/129507654

It is quite often that the revision of a product becomes much worse. Companies will not always pander to consumers seeking higher quality or even a better product in a revision of a product. Often they will cheapen components, remove features and call it "new and improved". The pursiot of greater profit margin is the driver most of the time.
A good analogy is with BMW, while still subjective but the newer 3 series (for example) have cheaper components, cheaper ride feel overall, and funny enough cheaper audio system than predecessors.

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 6
Buy another pair?
https://www.ebay.com/p/Marshall-Major-Headband-Headphones-Black/129507654

It is quite often that the revision of a product becomes much worse. Companies will not always pander to consumers seeking higher quality or even a better product in a revision of a product. Often they will cheapen components, remove features and call it "new and improved". The pursiot of greater profit margin is the driver most of the time.
A good analogy is with BMW, while still subjective but the newer 3 series (for example) have cheaper components, cheaper ride feel overall, and funny enough cheaper audio system than predecessors.

Well, I just spent $85 on these, so my budget is shot. I guess it's possible that they have gotten worse, but plenty of reviews say they are better than before. Also, it obvious the new ones are physically superior, haven more reinforced plastic on the area that fell apart on my old ones.

It's an hard thing to quantify and of course subjective to some extent. Is there any way to, sort of, measure a headphones ability to reproduce sound?

Jul 21, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, I just spent $85 on these, so my budget is shot. I guess it's possible that they have gotten worse, but plenty of reviews say they are better than before. Also, it obvious the new ones are physically superior, haven more reinforced plastic on the area that fell apart on my old ones.

It's an hard thing to quantify and of course subjective to some extent. Is there any way to, sort of, measure a headphones ability to reproduce sound?

Can you send them back? Usually reputable companies have a 30 day no hassle return... Call them. Headphones are overwhelmingly qualified by the drivers inside them, everything else is "accessory".
Your ears don't lie to you, if they sound worse to you, they will not sound better if you measure them. Who knows, you may have a defective pair, but more than likely your ears do not like the shape of the music reproduced.
Something blew my mind recently is a story from coworker that used ot work at, let's jsut say a major chocoloate company in US. They basically replaced ingredients with cheaper ones and had employees taste the new formula to make sure taste has not degraded significantly.
Reviews are very difficult to trust these days, some are fake, others can be from unreasonable people, etc...

Oct 4, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 6

so what is the latest update regarding Major III?
have you replace them or did any burn-in?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back