Marshall Kilburn, Stanmore or ??? - portrable bluetooth speaker recommendations?
Sep 27, 2017 at 7:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

OakIris

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have a House of Marley Chant BT Bluetooth speaker that I use with my smartphone. (Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/House-Marley...4&sr=8-1&keywords=House+of+Marley+EM-JA008-NV ) I am not much of a partier and this little speaker is fine for sitting out on the patio, reading and listening to music. If I am using the speaker for music while working in my garden and want to hear above the ambient sounds or when a song comes on and I feel the need to crank it up louder, however, I have found that the Chant just lacks the oomph and doesn't get loud enough for me, so I am in the market for another speaker.

I am not a bass-head and my ears are probably not sophisticated enough to hear all the nuances in audio equipment about which reviewers and audiophiles can wax poetically, but I still want decent sound. My musical preferences are jazz, classical, classical rock, blues and World music. My budget is $300 max - less money is better, of course.

The speakers currently at the top of my list are both Marshall speakers, the Stanmore and the Kilburn. The Stanmore might be ideal, sound and volume-wise....but the downside is that it is not as portable as it is not battery-operated, requiring access to a power outlet and tethered to a power cord. I am not set on Marshall, but the vintage look of their speakers appeals to me and, more importantly, the reviews of sound quality are all pretty positive. the strengths of the speakers apparently overcoming their weaknesses.

If you have heard them - or have them - what do you think of the Marshall speakers? What do you recommend instead? Opinions and recommendations would be much appreciated.

Holly

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #2 of 14
Sadly, no interest in this subject, but I will continue to talk to myself, I have no shame. :-D I will do more research and get it figured out. It would be so much easier if I could actually listen to the available speakers, obviously.

Seems the Marshall speakers are true to the company's original roots of being a guitar amp manufacturer and they may be best for rock 'n roll and such, but perhaps not for the other genres I listen to, such as jazz, folk, classical. They aren't off my list as yet but I am now also considering the Audio Pro Addon T3, Riva Audio Turbo X and the Bowers & Wilkins T7 portable Bluetooth speakers. (The latter speaker is more than I want to pay but it gets such good reviews...)

Holly

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #3 of 14
I own the Kilburn and I think I've literally contributed to maybe 3-4 purchases from my friends buying their own after I bring them somewhere.
They're amazing for the price and everyone loves their look (I got the cream color, which I think is cooler than the black).

Sound quality is pretty top notch for that price range, and battery life is unreal (legit can go weeks without recharging sometimes).
Highly recommend.

Keep in mind the Kilburn speakers are like personal room speakers (as in they're loud for a room, but thats about the limit). They don't quite go loud enough for other applications altho I've used them in living rooms and outdoors for when ppl are just hanging out/ casually drinking and they work great for that.

Can't speak on the rest of the options. I'm sure the Stanmore is a bit more powerful but the convenience of the strap and battery what were drew me to the Kilburn over it. Depends on how you'll use it.

(I was also looking at B&W T7 and those look great too but again as you said a bit more expensive)

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 14
I own the Kilburn and I think I've literally contributed to maybe 3-4 purchases from my friends buying their own after I bring them somewhere.
They're amazing for the price and everyone loves their look (I got the cream color, which I think is cooler than the black).

Sound quality is pretty top notch for that price range, and battery life is unreal (legit can go weeks without recharging sometimes).
Highly recommend.

Keep in mind the Kilburn speakers are like personal room speakers (as in they're loud for a room, but thats about the limit). They don't quite go loud enough for other applications altho I've used them in living rooms and outdoors for when ppl are just hanging out/ casually drinking and they work great for that.

Can't speak on the rest of the options. I'm sure the Stanmore is a bit more powerful but the convenience of the strap and battery what were drew me to the Kilburn over it. Depends on how you'll use it.

(I was also looking at B&W T7 and those look great too but again as you said a bit more expensive)

Thank you for your thoughts on and impression of the Kilburn; I am still very tempted by this speaker and your good impressions of the speaker are quite helpful. What kind of music do you generally listen to, gadu? That might help me to decide...though I assure you I will not blame you one way or the other for my final decision.

I realize the portable Bluetooth speakers are usually small and not suitable for parties and commotion. I am not looking for something to fill a large room with loud sound, though upon occasion I would like to crank it up and jam out to the music, I am primarily looking for a speaker for personal music listening or listening with a few friends while I am at home, also for use while I am gardening or on the patio reading. This is for when I don't want to wear IEMs/headphones or use one of my main audio systems but need a music fix. :)

Holly

Sep 29, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 14
Thank you for your thoughts on and impression of the Kilburn; I am still very tempted by this speaker and your good impressions of the speaker are quite helpful. What kind of music do you generally listen to, gadu? That might help me to decide...though I assure you I will not blame you one way or the other for my final decision.

I realize the portable Bluetooth speakers are usually small and not suitable for parties and commotion. I am not looking for something to fill a large room with loud sound, though upon occasion I would like to crank it up and jam out to the music, I am primarily looking for a speaker for personal music listening or listening with a few friends while I am at home, also for use while I am gardening or on the patio reading. This is for when I don't want to wear IEMs/headphones or use one of my main audio systems but need a music fix. :)

Holly

Yep this speakers will serve you well for that purpose.
I have pretty eclectic tastes but I definitely fall more on the dance/rap/rock/pop spectrum of music which these speakers do very well.
(I do enjoy classical and funk, indie rock as well too) The closest I got to jazz was probably the La La Land soundtrack (lol) which was also delightful on these speakers.
The adjustable treble and bass knobs actually do have a noticeable difference on the sound as well for some tweaking.

And yes, good luck choosing. I know how hard it can be when you can't listen to them beforehand (I'm currently struggling through my first "major"(for me) headphones purchase).

Don't have experience with any of the other speakers you listed but from my limited experience I've been loving the Kilburn (although again don't have much of a base for comparison)

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 14
Thank you for your response, gadu. I am hoping to make a decision this weekend, if not today. Always tough to buy audio equipment when you can't listen to it, especially when you don't have tons of money to spend on "experiments!" Your help is much appreciated.

Holly

Sep 29, 2017 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 14
You might have a look at the Riva Turbo X it's a really nice speaker that gets loud and sounds pretty good for BT it's got really good bass for as small as it is but it is heavier than it looks. Amazon has them for under $170 I paid much more 2 years ago but it was fairly new on the market.

Sep 29, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #8 of 14
You might have a look at the Riva Turbo X it's a really nice speaker that gets loud and sounds pretty good for BT it's got really good bass for as small as it is but it is heavier than it looks. Amazon has them for under $170 I paid much more 2 years ago but it was fairly new on the market.
That speaker is on my list, as I noted above. Do you use it outside? Some of the reviews I read said it was really made for use indoors, as it sounded best when placed against a wall or in a corner, In the opinions of these reviewers, the speaker just didn't sound as good when used in the open outdoors...The speaker gets really good reviews, but I would like to have a portable speaker I can use both outdoors and indoors. If that is BS, please let me know, because I do like what I have read about the Riva Turbo.

Holly

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #9 of 14
Well what speaker sounds great outside. The Riva sounds just fine when used outdoors. Does it sound better inside yes but what speaker doesn't ? It sounds just fine when out on the patio or in the hot tub which is on the patio also and the sound is just as good. The patio is about 35' by 15' counting the hot tub and it is more than enough without pissing the neighbors off if it is not too late,

Sep 29, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Well what speaker sounds great outside. The Riva sounds just fine when used outdoors. Does it sound better inside yes but what speaker doesn't ? It sounds just fine when out on the patio or in the hot tub which is on the patio also and the sound is just as good. The patio is about 35' by 15' counting the hot tub and it is more than enough without pissing the neighbors off if it is not too late,
Good points, buke9, and my patio is just a little thing compared to yours so the Riva should work just fine for me.

Holly

Sep 30, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #11 of 14
Just watched and listened to this You Tube video, a soundcheck comparison of the Audio Pro Addon T3 and the Riva S:

The Riva S sounded better to my ears so at least one speaker is off my list - only to add another one. I would hope the sound quality of its big sister, the Turbo X, would be even more of an improvement...but now I have to decide between the S and Turbo X models, lol.

Thank you for your advice, buke9. I also watched/listened to this video:

As you said, the Turbo X does indeed do just fine outdoors!

Holly

Sep 30, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #12 of 14
It is a nice little unit. I bought it at CanJam SoCal 2016 as the wife wanted music in the kitchen or just wherever she was as she doesn't like headphones and not cranking up the main system downstairs. Listening to it on the patio right now it is just good and sound quality is also good not earth shattering by no means but just pretty good. My wife loves it as I do for sitting out on the patio when we want just relax with a beer ,wine or a good bourbon (that would be me she's not much of a bourbon drinker) together. Haven't heard many others but this thing is just good for our needs.

Oct 1, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #13 of 14
Not expecting earth shattering performance from a Bluetooth speaker - though wouldn't that be nice, and at this price range :-o - but good sound quality is a must. Everyone's ears are different, of course, but the Riva Turbo X seems to make a lot of people happy, and your positive experience as an actual end user has placed it at the top of my list. You and your wife use the speaker about the same way I hope to use a portable speaker.

I am really attracted to the retro look of the Marshall speakers, they get very positive reviews as well, including gadu's endorsement. If all I listened to was rock and such, the Kilburn would be the one I would get, but given that I also enjoy jazz and classical and quite a mix of other genres, I think the Riva would make me happier - it is a bit more refined, a bit more capable, at least from what I can interpret from the reviews and without being able to hear them both with my music.

Holly

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 14
I drive forklift at a lumberyard. My Stockwell has been banged around for a couple months/dropped/exposed to dirty etc. Although I planned not to, I don't think I can resist bringing my new Kilburn to work instead (kept the stockwell, btw the sound difference is huge imo. i stop the kilburn, quickly turn on the stockwell and it sounds like a tin can for a few moments. And the stockwell is awesome)

I want ideas on what material to use on a protective case that would have either a removeable or a hinged door and the back port cut in it. I'm also going to protect the jack (why the fkc doesnt it have RCA input) I'm just going to use 3/8ths plywood and a bit of foam i guess.. i dont want it getting all ****ed and worn like my stockwell.

Anywho it's a great speaker. I want to try the JBL Xtreme too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back