Mars Volta Live
Oct 22, 2005 at 9:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Beatl?Maniac

New Head-Fier
I'm going to see the mars volta live in Manchester on the 1st December and i really cant wait! I was just wondering if any fellow members have experienced them live and could share their opinions?

Oct 22, 2005 at 9:26 AM Post #2 of 12
oh man. i've seen them a handful of times here in chicago. but the first time was at a pretty small venue, which i think they're best at. they're at their best on a good night, cause when they're angry about the sound/crowd/anything, they'll let you know. one time, cedric pounded a monitor with his mic stand for some reason, then yelled at the sound guy. a couple seconds later, the sound guy got a mic stand flying at him...all during a song too. never lost beat. good times though. dancing crowds are good. have fun.

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 12
Please do realize that The Mars Volta and Mars Volta are two different bands, and it's confusing to those of us that know of the existence of the latter to say thier name you mean the former.

Oct 22, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 12
I saw The Mars Volta perform once out in Providence and had an awesome time. They know how to deliver. If you're into their albums, then you will not be disappointed with their show. Also, they tour with a few big rigs loaded with sound, stage and lighting equipment. This guarantees a big sound. At Providence they had line arrays on either side along with 10ft. tall stacks of bass. All I can say is it was solid and clear. After the show was over my ears were ***NOT*** ringing; which definitely is a good thing.

Muscle your way to the front of the show and please be sure to post about your experience.

Cheers, David

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 12
I saw them around the biginning of summer, and it was a very good show. I am sure you will enjoy it.

Although, as far as muscling yor way to the front, I would instead suggest muscling your way to the very edge of the mosh area so that you can see/hear well, but people are not trying to knock you over and step on you.

Also: I am really looking forward to their live CD, Scabdates which comes out in a few weeks.

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:46 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatl£Maniac
I'm going to see the mars volta live in Manchester on the 1st December and i really cant wait! I was just wondering if any fellow members have experienced them live and could share their opinions?

Hello,

I just saw TMV a week ago in Santa Barbara, CA. I can say that honestly, they were great. They were very exciting and sounded fantastic. I had seen them open for A Perfect Circle a couple of years ago, just after Deloused, and it was quite different than this show. I was worried about this show being kind of out-of-step, given all of the long synth sequences on Frances, but it worked out well. There was a fair bit of improv, not a lot, but a bit. I believe the lineup was Cedric, two guitars, two synths, two percussionists, a drummer, and, maybe that's it? My wife is not a fan, but she called the show "very impressive, with high energy, and very good sound."

You will love it,
George

Oct 22, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #7 of 12
the mars volta makes me envy deaf people

At The Drive-In always rocked though
rs1smile.gif

Oct 22, 2005 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by discord
the mars volta makes me envy deaf people

At The Drive-In always rocked though
rs1smile.gif

At the Drive-In > THE Mars Volta > Sparta

Oct 23, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #11 of 12
They opened for SOAD back in september and I have to say, they were absolutely terrible. Their songs took 20min+ to get through (they had 3 distinct breaks) and were just meandering songs with no point. The singer would screech like a 12-year old girl for 3 or 4 minutes, and the rest of the time seemed like the band was just jamming, with no one actually taking a lead, while the singer kinda danced around on stage. All the people around me smoking up seemed to enjoy it, but both me and the guy I went with hated both opening acts. And for the record, thats all IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back