Maroon 5 'Songs About Jane" ripping problem?
Oct 5, 2004 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

motifone

New Head-Fier
Not sure where to post this

But is the Marooon 5 "Songs About Jane" CD copy protected?

I've made an AAC of the song "She Will Be Loved" and I hear bits of static/clicks/quick disortions. I also grabbed some MP3's of this song off the net to test it, and they also sound weird.

A few websites say this CD uses copyright protection

Anyone with a good ear/headphones hear this, too?

Oct 5, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 4
hmm i thought my rip of that album was odd too - but then i heard the original cd and was like "oh. the original is just mastered badly." distortion, etc is there. don't know about the clicks and pops tho!

Oct 6, 2004 at 5:18 PM Post #3 of 4
I have also noticed some problems with the mastering of this album. Quiet static that is just enough to be very annoying is present on a lot of the CD, and the quality otherwise is also sub-par.

-Jay

Oct 7, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 4
thanks for the replies...

well, I basically "purchased" my AAC file from AllofMp3.com. It was an OnlineExclusive rip, meaning it was ripped from their CD original. With a couple of exceptions, the rips I get from AllofMp3.com are usually of good quality. The "She Will Be Loved" track from "Songs About Jane" semed to have sporadic static under the vocals and an occasional "snapping" sound like a glitch or skid. At first, I thought it was part of the texture of the song, but the "snaps" seemed pretty random, not following any sort of beat. All of this VERY audible with my Ety phones and even on speakers.

I then downloaded a few Mp3's of the song from other sources. Same issues. I even listened to the 30 sec sample of the song on the Itunes Music store, same thing.

I also found this webpage of interest:

http://www.uk-dave.com/misc/corrupt-audio-cds.shtml

... which indeed said this CD is copy protected and can even do damage to certain players.

I'm trying to get a hold of the original CD myself, just to see what's up. Not a biggie, but it touches on bigger issues of sound quality sufferning at the expense of copy protection

Users who are viewing this thread

Back