markl AH-D5000 vs. modded ATH-W5000
May 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Epicfailman

100+ Head-Fier
Out of these two headphones, which do you think would be better for someone who listens to a lot of rock and plays a good deal of first-person shooters? For the FPS I have some ATH-AD700s for positioning when I want to run my score up, but for some first-person shooters I really would like something to immerse me in the game. I know you can do mods on the W5000 as well, so if I get the W5000, I will likely do those mods to improve the sound. After doing a good deal of research, I can say with a great deal of confidence that I have a head really tailored to the fit of the headphone. Obviously I cannot be sure the fit will be perfect unless I try, but given what I have read on head widths of those with a good fit, I fall into that category. Your opinions are appreciated! Thanks guys!

~Epicfailman

May 26, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 16
The W5000 is very detailed and the soundstage is rather large, i dont think you would have any trouble with them to be honest. I dont think i spent enough time with my previous pair to really get into the sound.

I would look at maybe upgrading your source also to get the most out of the phones if you are going to dish that sort of money out for phones.

May 26, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #3 of 16
Well the w5000 are great, but I don´t think for gaming, since they don´t sit that well on your head... yes it is trivial but it is rarther important comfortwise, and they are rather heavy.
Perhaps you should look at e.g. 950ltd instead.

May 27, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Don't think that mods automatically improve the sound. Typically there are pros and cons to the mod. I tried the Fitz mod on the W5000 and I ended up reverting to stock.

May 27, 2009 at 3:14 AM Post #6 of 16
Curious on why you reverted back? I was thinking about the la7000.

Sep 27, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 16
whats the price difference between the two?
i thought the MarkL's were way more expensive

Sep 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Assuming you do the mods yourself, they're probably close enough in price. But modding pricey phones is silly to me. Why bother when there's phones out there that sound great without mods?

i agree. the denons will cost me £700 minimum, in uk, i would like to think they would satisfy my ears, as they are.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #10 of 16
I agree about not assuming mods make a headphone better. When I listened to them side by side, I preferred the sound of the stock D5000 to the modded pair. Despite its sometimes overpowering bass, I found it much more fun and engaging. Not to say that you'll have the same experience, but don't assume that you have to mod the headphones to be happy.

I'd go with the Denons. They are very fun cans with rock, have an excellent soundstage for a pair of closed 'phones, and the bass from in-game explosions will make you pee.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 16
Hmm I don't know if all of those who voted for Denon actually have listened to modded W5000. Seems like there aren't many who own Fitz modded W5000 (aka F5005). Anyway, I initially did not like the full Fitz mod because it gave too much bass and there wasn't enough spark in high freq. However, I did half of Fitz mod and am completely satisfied with the result. I extensively compared it with stock D2000/7000 (since I had them) and with MD5000 (only at the meet tho). I preferred modded W5000 over all those three. I also liked them more than DX1000 but I can't say for sure because I never owned them. So, I sold Denons and kept AT.

Modding pricy headphone is definitely not silly to me because out of all the headphones I tried and owned thus far, modded W5000 is my favorite (among full-size dynamic headphones).

I don't know much about how modded W5000 would do in gaming since I only play DOTA. However, it has wider soundstage and tighter bass than Denon. I mainly listen to Rock/Electronic, and I thought W5000 was better on these two genres (actually pretty much all genres). This is not to say Denons are bad, I actually really liked D7000. Did not like D2000/5000 though.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #12 of 16
My opinion on W5000s is that if you feel the need to mod it to be bassier, then you've probably got an inadequate source, amp, or fit. The latter 2 problems can be solved rather easily: VTGs instead of W5000s. Of course, some people simply need way more bass from a closed can, in which case you might as well mod some old orthos.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My opinion on W5000s is that if you feel the need to mod it to be bassier, then you've probably got an inadequate source, amp, or fit. The latter 2 problems can be solved rather easily: VTGs instead of W5000s. Of course, some people simply need way more bass from a closed can, in which case you might as well mod some old orthos.

That may well be true but I successfully got a good result with almost free mod instead of getting much more expensive source and amp than my current set-up. That is the real advantage of the modding. If I have unlimited fund, I would get best gears I can get. If you are talking about W10VTG, I did not like them much. I don't remember why because it has been a while since I tried them.

Oh and by the way, I had very good fit from the day 1. I saw many members posting about how hard it is to get a right fit from W5000 but I had no problem. I never had problems with any AT headphones that I had (AD700/900/2000, W1000 and W5000).

I do not consider myself as a basshead because I did not like D2000/DT770/HFI780/Pro900 and some other closed phones because I thought they had too much bass.

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:34 AM Post #14 of 16
With limited funds, I'd personally go for the $500 source instead of $500 headphones.
wink.gif
Then a Dynalo or something + orthos. That's well under $1k right there.

As for not liking VTGs... well you're just crazy heh.

Edit: a W5000 from a good source with good fit has a neutralish amount of bass imo. I've had Pro 2500 and DT770 before, and I wouldn't say the W5000 is significantly less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back