Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Jan 4, 2022 at 12:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 970

JML

Headphoneus Supremus
Just announced: https://www.marklevinson.com/products/headphones/MLNO5909AM.html
The Crutchfield website says they'll be available on Feb. 7, for $999.

gallery-hero-3.png

Highlights​

• Hi-Res Audio certified:
    • LDAC audio codec
    • Digital circuitry compatible with 24-bit/96kHz processing
    • Acoustic response up to 40kHz
  • Expertly tuned 40 mm Beryllium coated drivers acoustically optimized to the HARMAN Curve
  • Bluetooth 5.1 with LDAC, AAC and aptX™ Adaptive technologies
  • Adaptive Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) with three modes
  • Ambient Aware mode for situational awareness while on the go
  • Four-microphone voice array with Smart Wind Adaption
  • Available colors include Pearl Black, Ice Pewter, Radiant Red

Materials​

• Premium leather headband and replaceable leather ear cushions
  • Anodized aluminum frame
  • Automotive-grade metallic painted ear cups

Battery​

• Up to 34 hours battery life; 30 hours playtime with ANC enabled
  • Up to 6 hours playtime with 15-minute quick charge

What’s Included​

• Hard shell carrying case
  • Cables (audio):
    • 4 m USB-C to 3.5 mm audio cable
    • 1.25 m USB-C to 3.5 mm audio cable
  • Cables (power):
    • 1.25 m USB-C charging cable
  • Adapters:
    • USB-C to USB-A adaptor
    • 3.5 mm to 6.3 mm audio adaptor
    • Airplane audio adaptor
  • Microfiber polishing cloth

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 970
This must surely be a new record in terms of price for a Bluetooth headphone? I believe the previous record was 899 EUR/USD for a B&O headphone (H95?).

So for this price point I just want to know if battery replacement is easily accessible...

Also if there's a USB-dac functionality?

It also seems like these are the first ever headphone made by the company? Kinda a bold move to have your first ever headphones to be a 1k ANC BT one... :p Since they don't only need to sound freaking amazing for the price, but the technical features must also be very impressive (ANC/Ambient/App).

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #5 of 970
This must surely be a new record in terms of price for a Bluetooth headphone? I believe the previous record was 899 EUR/USD for a B&O headphone (H95?).

So for this price point I just want to know if battery replacement is easily accessible...

Also if there's a USB-dac functionality?

It also seems like these are the first ever headphone made by the company? Kinda a bold move to have your first ever headphones to be a 1k ANC BT one... :p Since they don't only need to sound freaking amazing for the price, but the technical features must also be very impressive (ANC/Ambient/App).
as Mark Levinson is a Harman Brand its likely building on the other BT ANC headphones the company offers.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 970
AnIiACF.gif

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #7 of 970
Initial impressions:

1. Build quality 8/10. One point subtracted for plastic parts one a phone of this price.
2. Comfort: very good to excellent. Slightly heavier than expected but well balanced with comfortable headband and very comfortable pads, which I believe are leather. EDIT: The pads ARE removable.
3. Controls: buttons of above average tactile quality. Only 16 volume steps (with iOs). A big negative, but the 3-4 usable (to me) steps are of reasonable volume yet I cannot usually dial in a 'perfect' listening volume.
4. Sound Quality: excellent. Neutral, not bass heavy. Slightly upward tilted upper mids/lower highs. Not bright or fatiguing whatsoever. Detail retrieval is excellent. Vocals reproduced very well. Headstage I would describe as above average.
5. ANC: still needs more testing.
6. Call quality: still needs more testing.
7. Problems: My unit arrived with persistent, RFI-like noise coming from the left channel. Noticable at very low volumes and when music is not playing. Also present when not paired. The noise changed character when receiving the software update via the iOs app. Additionally, I have had intermittent sound dropouts when both streaming music and playing tracks that are downloaded to my phone. A replacement set is on the way to me in a week or two which I hope will resolve both of these issues.

5909.jpeg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #8 of 970
That can't be right? A pair of headphones for 1k without removable earpads... Holy crap. Even the cheap Shure Aonic 50's got removable pads.

Also there's no USB dac mode? That's really my main reason for buying these type of wireless headphones, means I don't have to bring a dac/amp whenever I'm travelling.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 970
That can't be right? A pair of headphones for 1k without removable earpads... Holy crap. Even the cheap Shure Aonic 50's got removable pads.

Also there's no USB dac mode? That's really my main reason for buying these type of wireless headphones, means I don't have to bring a dac/amp whenever I'm travelling.

There is a USB dac mode. I haven't tried it yet.

There is only a quick start guide, no manual. So if the pads are removable, I haven't figured it out yet.

Feb 2, 2022 at 10:32 AM Post #10 of 970
There is a USB dac mode. I haven't tried it yet.

There is only a quick start guide, no manual. So if the pads are removable, I haven't figured it out yet.
Great!

Hmm this source says the earpads are replaceable, no idea how reliable they are tho:

https://www.audioadvice.com/mark-levinson-5909-premium-high-resolution-wireless-anc-headphones

Oh yeah, and the USB port is on the right side yes? Kinda of a bummer...I wish it was on the left side for more convenience since most people are right handed when using a computer mouse.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 16-31-50 Mark Levinson No 5909 Premium High-Resolution Wireless ANC H...png
    Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 16-31-50 Mark Levinson No 5909 Premium High-Resolution Wireless ANC H...png
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #13 of 970
Is there anyone else that can give impressions on these? How they compare to the Dali iO-6, B&O H95, or other high priced headphones in the class? I'm so close to pulling the trigger but would like a few more impressions/reviews before doing so.

Feb 5, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #14 of 970
I guess it’s just me so far, so I’ll throw in my updated impressions. The signal dropouts that I was experiencing have resolved. The low level noise from the left channel remains so I will still be having this pair replaced.

Wired mode, both 3.5mm to usb and dac mode are excellent. Their is a small but noticeable increase in SQ with both.

Comfort is great, I have been able to wear them for hours with no problem whatsoever.

ANC is very good to excellent. I don’t have the Sony’s or APM here to compare but after several commutes, I can say I don’t feel the need to have a set with stronger ANC.

Call quality is excellent, however there is still a bit too much background allowed in. This is likely a personal preference thing. I am used to APP for calls where I can alternate between full ANC and ambient. The 5909 only allow ambient/partial ambient.

The case is very high quality and thoughtfully designed. The right size for protection and accessory storage but not so big as to prohibit throwing in a backpack.

Overall I am pleasantly surprised and quite pleased with this headphone. It has become my new daily driver. Also, might have to bump build quality up a point - despite the use of plastic, the paint job is superb and there is no squeaking or other sign of less than optimal build when wearing/folding/using.

Feb 5, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 970
Thanks for the impressions. Im excited to get my pair as well. I believe they don't officially release until Monday so I'm not surprised no one else has them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back