Mark Knopfler - Kill To Get Crimson
Nov 5, 2007 at 9:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SR-71Panorama

Headphoneus Supremus
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...NL._SS500_.jpg

I recently picked up Kill To Get Crimson by Mark Knopfler, and have been loving it ever since. As most readers here already know, Mark was the leader in the rock band Dire Straits. I will just say he is famous for a reason; the man has TONE. This new solo album isn't so much about solos as it is about 'the broad picture', but he plays with amazing restraint, and wonderful tone. I would most definitely categorize this as an audiophile release. It has a wonderful warm sound, with no bite or sizzle in the guitars, (an all too common problem in my book.) All the vocals and instruments have so much room to breathe. I am particularly taken aback by his slightly reverberated atmospheric playing in many of the songs. It almost sounds Hawaiian or surf-esque, except the songs have more familiar chord progressions and structures.

In addition, something about this album keeps my close attention for the entire duration; something not always accomplished with Dire Straits, as much as I loved that band. I enjoy listening to every microcosm of detail, such as the crescendo in Heart Full of Holes, and its interplay with the tambourines jingling in the background.

From my collection, this is the best sounding and most enjoyable album released this year.

I give it my strongest possible recommendation.

Mar 16, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 2
I agree with you - a Great Album.

You really should check out Grace : Hall of Mirrors.
Great acoustics and female vocals, sometimes with a bit of soul thrown in and a LOT of variety. "Butterfly" probably sounds the closest stylistically.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA240_.jpg
It was released early this month and has been one of my favorites ever since I got it a few weeks ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back