Marian McPartland
Sep 1, 2002 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bubbaj

100+ Head-Fier
Went out to see a movie today, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (very funny), and pick up some new music.

Since Borders has those headphones for listening, I like to listen to stuff I've never heard before. Well today I discovered Marian McPartland.

What a talanted jazz piano player! I must say that I enjoyed every track on the "Live at Shanghai Jazz" CD. However my two favorites are "Scratchin' In The Gravel" and "Shanghai Blues".

The quality of the disc is excellent. Very clear. I feel like I'm in the club.

So, I'm listening to the disc and reading the liner notes and I decide to see what I can find out about the club "Shanghai Jazz". So I get on the web and find their site. Well guss who's going to be at the club in September? The Marian McPartland Trio! So I map the location on mapquest and find that it is only about 2 and a half hours from my house
cool.gif

I think this may warrent a road trip! This will be the second jazz great I've seen this year. In April (i think), I was in Washington DC on business and got to see Chick Corea at the Blues Alley in Georgetown. What a great year for music!

Sep 2, 2002 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 2
Quote:

Originally posted by bubbaj
Went out to see a movie today, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (very funny), and pick up some new music.

Since Borders has those headphones for listening, I like to listen to stuff I've never heard before. Well today I discovered Marian McPartland.

What a talanted jazz piano player! I must say that I enjoyed every track on the "Live at Shanghai Jazz" CD. However my two favorites are "Scratchin' In The Gravel" and "Shanghai Blues".

The quality of the disc is excellent. Very clear. I feel like I'm in the club.

So, I'm listening to the disc and reading the liner notes and I decide to see what I can find out about the club "Shanghai Jazz". So I get on the web and find their site. Well guss who's going to be at the club in September? The Marian McPartland Trio! So I map the location on mapquest and find that it is only about 2 and a half hours from my house
cool.gif

I think this may warrent a road trip! This will be the second jazz great I've seen this year. In April (i think), I was in Washington DC on business and got to see Chick Corea at the Blues Alley in Georgetown. What a great year for music!

I've been there. Small, intimate club (it's actually a Chinese restaurant--great food), good sound. You should enjoy it.

Check out today's NJ Star Ledger (I think they post their articles on www.nj.com). There's an excellent review of "Live at Shanghai Jazz."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back