Maria Callas, Warner 2014 Abbey Rd remaster
Oct 18, 2014 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

icebear

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone pulled the trigger on this new complete box set ?

http://www.amazon.com/Maria-Callas-Remastered-Recordings-1949-1969/dp/B00KN15P56
All reviews are so positive, it almost seems fishy
wink.gif
So if any member here has listened to these new remastered versions, some first hand feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The latest efforts are (acc. to Warner) based on 24/96 A/D transfers of the original master tapes. I guess this was the very last time these now 65 year old tapes could be used ...
I might get a single opera instead of the entire package as I am not such an opera buff or especially Callas aficionado. Or in case there might be a special offer before the holidays I might not be able to resist.

Oct 18, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 6
  Has anyone pulled the trigger on this new complete box set ?

http://www.amazon.com/Maria-Callas-Remastered-Recordings-1949-1969/dp/B00KN15P56

All reviews are so positive, it almost seems fishy
wink.gif
So if any member here has listened to these new remastered versions, some first hand feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The latest efforts are (acc. to Warner) based on 24/96 A/D transfers of the original master tapes. I guess this was the very last time these now 65 year old tapes could be used ...
I might get a single opera instead of the entire package as I am not such an opera buff or especially Callas aficionado. Or in case there might be a special offer before the holidays I might not be able to resist.

I guess I made some mistake above, not sure why it's not showing up properly. So a quote
redface.gif

edit 1: OK the picture I cut and pasted caused the 'no show'
edit 2: here we go:
91Rt-kJEYhL._SX522_.jpg

Oct 21, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 6
I am in the same boat: I am interested but would like to hear some opinions:

What I found so far is a lot of praise. But, when I read the critical reviews (on Amzon.co.uk, .de, .fr) then they are from owners of the 2007 EMI set. Most listeners write, the difference is barely audible. The french are the most critical and speak of a marketing gag.
People who don't compare (and probably don't own previous recordings) are mostly positive. One wrote, the new remasters sound artificial compared to the old recordings (pre EMI box set). American reviewers at amazon recommend to throw away all old recordings (keep the libretti, they are missing on the new set).

That's what I know so far. Search the net for "callas remastered review". New links pop up every few days.

There are also one minute clips for most of the remastered pieces on the Warner page, although I cannot find any hints about the format. Neither on iTunes. But it is instructive to listen to the clips. They sound good to me, but they are not the revolution that some reviews talk about.

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 6
I went to my local record store this weekend and listened to the mad scenes. Finally also bought Il Barbiere de Seviglia to test it at home on my system (Ayon CD 1sc, Earmax Silver, Sennheiser HD 800, far too expensive cables). 
My brief impression is: sounds good. If reviewers write, it sounds like a modern recording, I'd answer: rubbish. It sounds good for a 1957 recording, even very good. But it lacks the space and the air of modern recordings. 
I read that some of the operas have been equalized to compensate for lost treble on the original tapes and to bring Callas voice more to the front. It would be consistent with this recording, where Callas sounds very close to the listener. But, not only Callas voice is amplified. Also the others. In the case of Tito Gobbi, who has an exceptionally powerful voice, this sometimes scratches the line of being uncomfortable to listen to without lowering the volume extra for him. 
Dynamic range is up to 17 db, no clipping. Not bad.
I cannot compare with an old Barbiere. I compared to my old recording of Tosca instead. It is the 1989 EMI version of the 1964 Pretre recording. There, everybody is indeed far more distant from the listener. The space in general is larger though. I am talking about the impression of being on stage (Barbiere) to sitting in 10s row (Tosca). But there are 7 years between those recordings too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back