Marantz turntables vs. Technics turntables
Dec 18, 2006 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
There's a nice looking vintage Marantz 6510 (I can't remember the model number, but it's 6_10) turntable. It's mint. I know it's direct drive, and had on some Audio Technica arm. He said it was the original arm.

How's it compare to my Technics 1400? I was thinking of snagging it up just for the hell of it. When I asked him his opinion on them, he said "same era, Technics are known for thier durability, but otherwise, I would say they're about the same....".

Worth asking for a trade or even buying?

Dec 18, 2006 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a nice looking vintage Marantz 6510 (I can't remember the model number, but it's 6_10) turntable. It's mint. I know it's direct drive, and had on some Audio Technica arm. He said it was the original arm.

How's it compare to my Technics 1400? I was thinking of snagging it up just for the hell of it. When I asked him his opinion on them, he said "same era, Technics are known for thier durability, but otherwise, I would say they're about the same....".

Worth asking for a trade or even buying?

If it has an AT arm on it, some of which were very good BTW, then that would suggest it's a high end model in the Marantz range of the period and therefore more akin to a Technics SL120 or SL150 both of which were quite a bit better than the 1400.

If the area where the arm is mounted is wooden which it is on many of these that would also allow you to upgrade the tonearm in the future which is the single most important factor that compromises the sound of most vintage direct drives compared to modern belt drives.

Therefore I would check out the existing tonearm and mounting area further to verify this.

Here is a list of Audio Technica tonearms
http://www.vinylengine.com/tonearm_d...Search2=Search

the important figure is the mounting distance as knowing this will allow you to find a better modern arm to upgrade the AT if necessary. Although as I say AT made some nice arms so you could also consider rewiring it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back