Marantz SA8260: To buy or not to buy?
Dec 6, 2004 at 7:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Alexx

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody!

I'm looking for a good Redbook/Multichannel SACD audio-only player in $600-$700 price range. Marantz SA8260 fit perfectly, but I still have some doubt. Is it safe to buy it now? I mean, is there any replacement for this player from Marantz is going to be released soon? I don't want to buy such expensive (for me) gear just to know two weeks later that there's going to be another, cheaper and with higher sound quality! Also, I'd like to know how you could rank it's sound in Redbook. Or maybe there's another player worth considering? Any input is welcomed.

Dec 6, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi alexx,
I don't know about russia, but us model will be discontinued. Atleast that's what I heard from marantz dealers. You can possible bargain more if that's the case.

Everything is value/performance relative. If you get sa8260 in $500-600 range. It should be good at that price point. Some mods are available as well.

Dec 7, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 5
I have been using my SA8260 for a couple of years, and it is a fine player. The headphone jack on this unit is one additional benefit . The sound that I get from it, using an RS-1 and an HD650 is just as good as the sound that I get from my RA-1. So, a headphone amp may not be needed.

Dec 7, 2004 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 5
BigD,
thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, after posting this thread I've discovered that the player I was aiming at was factory reconditioned (hence the discount), and this is a dealbreaker for me. And the new one is out of my range.

BTW, do you know the model number that will replace SA8260?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
Hi alexx,
I don't know about russia, but us model will be discontinued. Atleast that's what I heard from marantz dealers. You can possible bargain more if that's the case.

Dec 7, 2004 at 4:40 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

BTW, do you know the model number that will replace SA8260?Alexx

I just went to see japanese marantz website and can't find anything new. The best way to be sure is to wait till CES in january if marantz will launch new line-up.

I doubt marantz will come out with drastic change since their top dog is SA-11S and their universal already introduced DV9500.

Quote:

I have been using my SA8260 for a couple of years, and it is a fine player.Mikeg

Hi mikeg, I knew someone had this player on this forum, but couldn't pinpoint who it was. Well, how would you describe the redbook performance? Did you mod it? I've read more reviews on its result after modding which completely betters the machine.
http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Me...gory_Code=MODS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back