Marantz SA8260 or Sony SCD-C555ES?
Jun 14, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #16 of 19
Yes, like other moders he warrants *his work* but not the rest of the player.

Jun 14, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Yes it voids warrantee, but Sony is closing a number of its servicing shops in the US and their service is absolutely lousy from what I've read from many people. Also, look at the cost of the boards and other parts Matthew installs before you call his mods "expensive". He practically gives his labor away. The 555ES retailed at $1600 when it was first released at the end of 2001. Matthew's mods are $600. If, for $1200 (cost of player on used market plus cost of mods) you can get a player that equals or exceeds other players costing 2-3 times as much, it's not expensive. People mod players precisely because it is so cheap, cheapest way to get a great source.

My friends 555ES was used, and when it got to sacdmods Matthew found two things wrong inside and fixed them for free. $600.00 for the improvements you get with the sacdmods.com 555ES is a steal! Dirt cheap. I wonder if the new silver 555ES (dvd, sacd, cd) player that runs 600.00 new can handle the mods? Any one know?

Jun 14, 2004 at 8:18 PM Post #18 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
My friends 555ES was used, and when it got to sacdmods Matthew found two things wrong inside and fixed them for free. $600.00 for the improvements you get with the sacdmods.com 555ES is a steal! Dirt cheap. I wonder if the new silver 555ES (dvd, sacd, cd) player that runs 600.00 new can handle the mods? Any one know?

The new 555es can not handle the same mods. The zap filter output stage board is not installed in the new model. He does modify the output stage with higher quality op amps biased into Class A. There are power supply and cap upgrades and the LC Audio superclock is also part of the new mod package. He does indeed warrany his work for 1 year. The new 555es will probably be similar in sound quality to the sacdmods 222es.

Jun 14, 2004 at 8:30 PM Post #19 of 19
Thanks Earl !!
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back