Marantz SA8003 is up on the Marantz website
Oct 17, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #17 of 26
The SA8003 looks interesting, but if I was in the market for a new player (which I am not--which is probably for the best
wink_face.gif
) I'd be more tempted by the new Sony SCD-XA5400ES which has balanced outs and can output in surround sound (although via HDMI only, sadly).

Oct 17, 2008 at 8:11 PM Post #18 of 26
I have had several SACD and dedicated redbook payers and I settled on the SA8001 because its SACD playback was far superior to most of the universal players and its redbook in my opinion sounds better than most redbook only players including the Cambridge. I found the Cambridge models (like the 640C)very bright and hot on the top end. Some folks might like that but I dont.

With almost all of the brand sI have tried I had to tame it down with tweaks and some will say even snake oil - cd platters that sit on top of a cd I found helped reduced the brightness - maybe it caused less jitter due to a cheap chassis or cheap cd tray? I dont know but I found the only time I could listen without any fatigue was with these tweaks.

The Sa8001 leans a little towards the warm side but is very detailed, robust and heavy
smily_headphones1.gif
If the digital files from an external usb drive is sent thru the same DACS as what is being used for SACD playback, I might upgrade to this model but its still new and not many reviews.....anybody know if this is the case ? I know that some players will take the el cheapo route and send the usb signal elsewhere making the sound not much better.

Oct 18, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #19 of 26
I am just curious of the quality of the headphone jack of the Marantz SA8003. As it goes in the promotional materials:

"The headphone output, usually far down on the priority list for lesser players, includes a high-speed current buffer circuit for minimal interference, maximum articulation, stability, and fatigue-free listening."

Just wonder if anyone found it alright to run straight from this without going through an headphone amp and an extra pair of interconnect.

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greeni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am just curious of the quality of the headphone jack of the Marantz SA8003. As it goes in the promotional materials:

"The headphone output, usually far down on the priority list for lesser players, includes a high-speed current buffer circuit for minimal interference, maximum articulation, stability, and fatigue-free listening."

Just wonder if anyone found it alright to run straight from this without going through an headphone amp and an extra pair of interconnect.

First off, I have a 5001 and not the 8003. I think you will find that the headphone jack is far down the priority list on all players regardless of price because business organizations make marginal profits on these things. Of course it would be alright to run headphones straight from the player but it will sound much better if you run the signal through a dedicated headphone amplifier first. I bet that you already figured that out already but it never hurts to ask. Sorry about your wallet.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Order both and return the one you least like for a refund.

Hey all,

New user here. I signed up to give my opinion of the SA8001 vs. SA8003. I did a lot of research prior to deciding on the 8001, & upon purchasing, loved the unit. It would not play some multi layer SACD discs. Since the 8001 was discontinued, Marantz offered the 8003 as a replacement, at that time not yet released. I purchased another 8001, concerned that the 8003 may not be an improvement. I was able to do side by side comparisons for about 3 weeks using Martin Logan speakers. The 8003 sounded less refined, much more harsh to my ears. Bass seemed much more muddy, and over driven. The Zylon disc tray is fancy plastic. Compared to the almost rubber type material used in the 8001 tray, I believe Zylon to be a downgrade. When a disc is loaded, you could hear the 8003 spin up from across the room. It was as noisy as my cdrom when burning discs. You could even hear it when selecting different songs. The 8001 is barely noticeable with an ear close to the unit. I sent the 8003 back even though I received it ($100 more retail) for the same price. The 8001 is a stellar unit. There is a very noticable difference in sound between the units, not to mention build quality. I proudly own the SA8001.

Nov 8, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #22 of 26
Thanks for signing up to post this review. Hope you stick around. I've been wanting to hear more comparisions like this. Your input is greatly appreciated. Sounds like the 8001 continues to exceed expectations.

Now why can't the 8001 LOOK like the 8003. I know looks shouldn't matter, but i like my cdp's the same way i like my women..... pretty
icon10.gif

Nov 8, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone knows where the SA8001 or the SA8003 can be found for the best price? Thanks.

You can get a refurbished SA8001 (with 1 year warranty from Marantz) from accessories4less.com for $650+reasonable shipping.

Marantz SA8001 CD SACD Player audiophile quality | Accessories4less

Nov 8, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #26 of 26
You are certainly welcome!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks ShellyH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back