Marantz SA8001 vs Denon DVD-3930CI?
Sep 16, 2007 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I want to upgrade my source (currently a Pioneer DV-563A) and I'm trying to decide between the Marantz SA8001 and Denon DVD-3930CI. Both have gotten really great reviews. I really want a universal player which is why I'm leaning toward the Denon, but I wanted other opinions.

Is the Marantz that much better with Redbook CD than the Denon to justify the loss of not having mutil-channel SACD and DVD-A playback, considering probably 75% of what I listen too is stereo music anyways? Should I go for the Marantz and then just keep my cheap Pioneer for multi-channel?

Thanks

Sep 16, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by strangelove /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I want to upgrade my source (currently a Pioneer DV-563A) and I'm trying to decide between the Marantz SA8001 and Denon DVD-3930CI. Both have gotten really great reviews. I really want a universal player which is why I'm leaning toward the Denon, but I wanted other opinions.

Is the Marantz that much better with Redbook CD than the Denon to justify the loss of not having mutil-channel SACD and DVD-A playback, considering probably 75% of what I listen too is stereo music anyways? Should I go for the Marantz and then just keep my cheap Pioneer for multi-channel?

Thanks

Go to SACDmods.Matt has turned loose of his personal self modified Sony 555ES and replaced it with his modified Denon 3930CI as his new reference player.I would think that the Denon must be fairly respectable.

Sep 16, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to SACDmods.Matt has turned loose of his personal self modified Sony 555ES and replaced it with his modified Denon 3930CI as his new reference player.I would think that the Denon must be fairly respectable.

I saw that. But how do the Marantz and Denons compare stock?

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:04 PM Post #5 of 9
Check the lastest Stereophile. It compared SA8001 to Benchmark DAC1 and other SACD players. I do not remember the detail, but the review looked really nice.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the lastest Stereophile. It compared SA8001 to Benchmark DAC1 and other SACD players. I do not remember the detail, but the review looked really nice.

I saw that about the Marantz. I know the Marantz is well respected. My question is how the Denon compares to it. I guess no one here really has any information based on the lack of responses.

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 9
Well... Either one should be a significant improvement over a budget DVD player. I don't believe that standalone redbook players are necessarily better than universal transports, so if those are your options, I'll recommend the Denon, even though my experiences with their lower-line products has been poor at best. Their mid-fi/hi-fi stuff appears to be in another league, though.

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 9
I thought Marantz and Denon were rather similar, and shared many parts, since one is owned by the other?
I could be wrong....

Sep 21, 2007 at 4:38 AM Post #9 of 9
The stock Denon has a very nice rich sound. Much better than the 3910 ever was.

But get the SACDmod and you are into the stratoshphere in terms of
performance... its that good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back