Marantz SA8001 owners unite!
Feb 6, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #31 of 35
I agree that the fast forwarding is very annoying. However, most of the time I just put in a disk, press play, sit back and relax. I have never had a disk that it wouldn't play, strange.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robonaut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had my SA8001 for a while now, and I like it, but there are still a few things that bug me about it.

(1) Fast Forward is NOT fast.
mad.gif
Seriously, it's like, what, 1.5X normal play speed? It's almost entirely worthless.

(2) Picky about certain discs. For some reason, I have a few discs (The Black Album by the Damned, in particular) which the SA8001 refuses to play although the discs play fine on several other CD players I have. And then there is at least one other one that the SA8001 will skip on, when other players play it with no issue. Weird.

(3) Doesn't remember play position after you stop the disc. My $150 Sony DVD player has this function, why doesn't my $1,000 SACD player?
confused_face(1).gif

(4) Doesn't stay in countdown mode when you change discs. Granted, the SA8001 is not the only player to do this, but that still doesn't make it any less annoying.

(5) Doesn't come in silver. What can I say? I love silver gear. What's particularly annoying is that I believe that the European version of the SA8001 (or a near equivalent) does come in silver.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #32 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Tosehee,

Welcome to the club!
biggrin.gif

I have never tried the triple.fi so I can't give you any advice there. I pretty much never use my IEMs unless I am away from the house and want to pack light. There is no substitute for a good open can in my mind!
k701smile.gif

Thanks for warm welcome.

As for the headphone, I am in search of one, but as I don't have a good dedicated amp right now, I need to know what headphone pairs well with SA8001 without a decent amp for awhile.

Does SA8001 built-in amp have enough impedance to drive Senn 650? Or am I better off with low impedance phones?

I am debating between these phones, again, without a dedicated hp amp.

Denon AD-5000
Senn HD650
Grado RS-1

Out of those, I am looking for most comfortable hp as I wear long time. Again, one that pairs well with built-in amp of SA8001 would be preferable. Do you have experience with such combo? What would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Feb 6, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #33 of 35
1 more question if you guys don't mind.

Does SA8001 top usually this warm? It's not *HOT*, but it's quite warm to a touch. It feels more like a AV Receiver's warm temperature. It doesn't bother me, but as this is my first CDP that costs more than $100+, I have no direct experience to compare with.

Thanks.

Feb 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #34 of 35
My experience has been that the SA8001 headphone out drives the HD650s OK, but not great. It is about the same at driving the HD650s as the NAD T773 and other receivers that are supposed to have good HP outs.

However, even the moderately priced EF-1 HP amp is a major improvement over the SA8001 HP out.

Trees

Feb 7, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #35 of 35
Dear tosehee,

I would suggest you get the headphone you want to start with. You can use it with the HP out of the SA8001 for now and get an amp later! The most comfortable headphones that you list are the Denon D5000 without a doubt! I haven't heard the D5000 but the I have the D2000 and they are really fun headphones. They will probably sound pretty good out of the HP out (but better from a dedicated amp). You might think about the D2000 over the D5000 as many claim that the difference is minute, with the D5000 having a slight bit more sparkle to them (and some say they prefer the recabled D2000 over the D5000).

If you are going to get the HD650s, they will not sound their best out of the HP out, but will not be any means sound horrible (actaully they will sound great because they are great cans... that is, if you like the Senn sound). You could listen with the SA8001 and then once you get a dedicated amp, you will appreciate they them even more!!!
regular_smile .gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for warm welcome.

As for the headphone, I am in search of one, but as I don't have a good dedicated amp right now, I need to know what headphone pairs well with SA8001 without a decent amp for awhile.

Does SA8001 built-in amp have enough impedance to drive Senn 650? Or am I better off with low impedance phones?

I am debating between these phones, again, without a dedicated hp amp.

Denon AD-5000
Senn HD650
Grado RS-1

Out of those, I am looking for most comfortable hp as I wear long time. Again, one that pairs well with built-in amp of SA8001 would be preferable. Do you have experience with such combo? What would you recommend?

Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back