Marantz Receiver any good to power HD650?
Nov 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

NormaJean

Head-Fier
Hi, one of my good friend is looking for a nice pair of headphones and I want to help him find the way. He's not interested in buying a dedicated headphone amp, since he thinks his marantz will amp his future cans just the way it should be done.

Will he get a decent sound trought his amp or is he better off going with some other easier to amp cans?

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 8
I am actually using Marantz PM8003 Headphone Out with Ultrasone PRO 900 and it works pretty good. But PRO 900 doesn't need a dedicated amp afaik, while i've heard that HD650 need better amplification to reveal their power. Sure sound will be decent if those will be his first Headphone imo, ther wil be always time to improve the rig
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 8
I have no experience with 650s, but the AKG k701 + Marantz PM7001 was a joke. And AKG k701 and Marantz 2270 was a joke as well. So I would think not, but that is just a guess.

Nov 29, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys, then I'll try to steer him away from HD650.

It would be his first pair of higher end phones, but he sells hifi stereo system so he kinda has an idea what ****ty and good sounds like.

Nov 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #5 of 8
If you want him to buy his way into that league of headphones, but want him to be able to use keep using his receiver, I suggest you steer him towards the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900. This is a very easy to drive headphone that sounds very, very good from most sources.

Nov 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #7 of 8
I don't have experience with my Senns on a Marantz receiver, but on my Pioneer Elite (Pioneer USA - Elite A/V Receivers) I don't have a single complaint. That's in direct comparison to my β22. I'd highly recommend making use of a good return policy and letting him demo a few different pairs. Sound signature is key when picking a set of headphones you'll enjoy! Good luck
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back