Marantz PM7001-KI headphone output improvement?
Jan 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

roel1977

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've got a question for you. I hope you can help me out.

Last year I bought the AKG K601 for listening to an old marantz stereo set. A few moth ago I bought a new cd-player and stereo intergrated amp (Marantz SA7001-KI and PM7001-KI).
I always thought that the Marantz had a good headphone output quality. When reading some info about headphone amps I start wondering if maybe I can get more out of my K601. What do you think?

Can I improve the sound by buying a headphone a,mp? (range: Graham Slee Novo)

Thanks for you response!!

Roel

Jan 16, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 5
PM7001KI has a good headphone out. I do think the Graham Slee Solo I use is an upgrade: clearer, more detailed and more punch. I would not go back, but it took a while to compare. The Marantz does a fine job for an integrated amp.

I would say: don't count on a cheapish separate amp sounding much better.
You can get different sound of course, depends on what you like. Tube amps are an option. But you'd have to try
smily_headphones1.gif

- StudioNoot in Amsterdam (near CS) has both the GS Solo and Lehman BlackCubeLinear along with a wide range of Grado headphones. That's where I got mine.
- The Qables people (qables.nl) seem to have listening space as well with a wider assortment. (follow the AudioXperience link) Located near Eindhoven.

and you could try this topic for the dutch meet this sunday in Nieuw Vennep.
In a few months there should be a meeting at Qables.

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 5
I'm back to square one in regards to dynamic headphone amping. Sold the Solo because I went the Stax route. I'm using my PM7001KI with a DX1000 I've got on loan, works perfectly.
Still stand by my point that a dedicated amp like the Solo for is better, but the difference is not that big. Sound is a little less clear, but the only real drawback so far is the higher needed volume to get proper sound balance between left and right.

Jan 27, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #5 of 5
thanks for the update.

I love my music but getting another amp for the little headphone use at home is not worth it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back