Marantz PM17 as an Headphone amp
Feb 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

piry

New Head-Fier
Hi there,

Listening both a lot to Headphones and loudspeakers (in my case Cabasse Java MT4), I'm about to buy a new amp - mainly for the loudspeakers.

So, I just wanted to know if anybody had experienced the Marantz PL17 amp to drive headphones. Mainly, Audeze LCD2, Ultrasone Pro 2900 and customs Unique Melody Miracle.

Any feedback welcome.

Thanks,

..Fred

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't know about that amp in particular, but I think Marantz usually includes good headphone amps in thier products. My CD-63SE includes a great headphone amp; I have it on my desk here at work.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah my marantz pm7200 (arguably a lesser model than yours) works great with my hd650, hd600 and 598. Hardly any difference with my little dot, except for ofcourse the way distortion sounds and varying small impedance mismatches (mainly on the 598).

Only thing I couldn't say though is how it would work with planars.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 7
I've been really happy with the Cambridge Audio 851A and my Sennheiser HD 800's. I can't really compare to a lot of other equip as I've only been into this since December.

Started out with the Bellari HA 540 and Audio Technica ATHESW9A phones. Listened to the ATHESWA9's with the Cambridge Audio amp then upgraded to the HD 800's

I know some may be cringing at the thought of the combo of an integrated amp with the reputation of being too analytical and the HD 800's, but I'm really happy. Just got the Bill Evan's Trio's Waltz for Debby and the soundstage is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back