Marantz PM-75 (DAC TDA1541A) Opinions about this dac)
Oct 3, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #16 of 23
Very interesting and I'll keep that in mind.
When I was asking about the TDA Dac it was mainly because I wanted to know if the DAC circuit within the MARANTZ PM 75 is worth using as a DAC or should I use my XONAR as a source.
For now the PM 75 does its job and the job is to power my 2 speakers I use alot less than I use my headphones so its good enough till upgraditis attacks again
smily_headphones1.gif

Next wave of upgraditis:

Wooaudio 6SE
B22 if i can build it or find a builder or buy it used
New speakers
New Integrated Poweramp
DAC - possibly

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #17 of 23
"raving reviews of the tda1541a"

I swear it's just so people can shift old, ageing cd players on eBay for silly amounts, you know :p

4 times oversampling is better than 8x but NOS is best, cd player makers were forced to make poor sounding players but now we can unlock their potential, etc, etc...

and if the tda1541 is crown?  omg omg rare audiophile sought after blah blah £££

as public enemy once said, "don't believe the hype" 
devil_face.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #18 of 23
Yes true enough, though in my case I just got a semi-vintage poweramp for my speakers and happened to have a DAC inside so I was curious since I had never tried an external DAC so it was an interesting experiment. 
At the same time it seems plausible that we are not needing 24/192 DAC's till the music achieves the same quality? As most of our music is 16/44,1KHz or 16/48 in case of videos.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #19 of 23

Quote:
Yes true enough, though in my case I just got a semi-vintage poweramp for my speakers and happened to have a DAC inside so I was curious since I had never tried an external DAC so it was an interesting experiment. 
At the same time it seems plausible that we are not needing 24/192 DAC's till the music achieves the same quality? As most of our music is 16/44,1KHz or 16/48 in case of videos.

aye, nearly all, like 99.999% of my music is in 16/44!  I set my dac @ 16bit/196KHz but i can't exactly say that sounds better, or different, than 16/44

don't get me wrong, it seems like a fine, well built amp, and the DAC section might fare well in comparison with what you can compare it to
biggrin.gif
what project said "probably just sound different but not better than your Marantz".

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #20 of 23

I smiled very wide at this post.

Many of us, whilst trying to cultivate good taste, have a limited exposure to good audio equipment and have to rely too much on the written word of experts. Unfortunately, the audiophile world is rife with snake-oil salesmen and "Emperor's New Clothes" stories.  This is probably most evident in the continued marketing of exorbitant-price speaker cables, which defy logic as well as the laws of physics.

The OP to this topic sounds like he's in a similar position to myself:  Trying to work out the output-quality bottleneck in the current system and how to overcome it spending the least amount of money.

In regards to the 16/44 vs 24/196 - I strongly suspect you won't notice a difference even if you had a 24/196 native stream.

Quote:
"raving reviews of the tda1541a"

I swear it's just so people can shift old, ageing cd players on eBay for silly amounts, you know :p

4 times oversampling is better than 8x but NOS is best, cd player makers were forced to make poor sounding players but now we can unlock their potential, etc, etc...

and if the tda1541 is crown?  omg omg rare audiophile sought after blah blah £££

as public enemy once said, "don't believe the hype" 
devil_face.gif

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #21 of 23
My first thread on this forum but thought I would add my experience with the Marantz PM75. I have recently dusted off my old but trusty PM75 amp and connected a 2nd gen Apple TV to it with an optical lead. My iMac feeds Apple lossless signal wirelessly to the ATV. I am using Sonus Faber Minima FM2 speakers and the sound is fantastic. Amazing image with great detail and the convenience of an iPhone as a remote control.

Apr 6, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #22 of 23
I'd watch out for the ATV2.  Whilst it can output a digital signal, it seems to do it at 48khz... which is quite infuriating if you're trying to do bit-perfect streams of lossless 44.1khz files.

The Airport Express never behaved like this.
Being brutally honest, I can't hear much difference, but given the option I'd prefer passthrough with no 44.1 > 48 upsampling.

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #23 of 23
Thread bump. 

I've had a PM-75 for a couple of years. I didn't think much of it at first, but after listening to it and the accompanying CD-80 CD player recently, I've changed my mind. My tastes have certainly changed in that time, going from very bright to much less bright.

I used the coaxial input on the PM-75, whereas before i used thew optical. I describe the sound as smooth and musical when listening through HD-600s. It is an very similar sound to the headphone out of the CD-80 which has the same TDA1541 chips but are single crown. 

I am very tempted to make my next DAC a non oversampling TDA1541 based one based on my experience with this Marantz stuff. 

I'd love the get the same cast side panels for the PM-75 that CD-80 has. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back