Marantz or Cambridge
Jan 21, 2009 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SoliloCey

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I am wondering what will be a brilliant warm,lush, and balanced source. I am on a budget, the cheaper the better to be honest, but im willing to fork out some cash to a degree. I was considering the following.

Cambridge Audio 540 C V2
Cambridge Audio 640 C V2
Marantz CD5003
Marantz CD6002

I was told the Marantz CD6002 is good, and is a warm source. I ahven't heard about any faults with the marantz, I am getting this source for electrostatics, so help is appreciated thank you.

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #2 of 15
Which electrostatic headphones, and for what kind(s) of music, and what amp will be used?

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 15
Amp:- SRM1/Mk2
Headphones:- SR 303
Cables:- Kato/ George Huffman's

Music:- Jazz, Underground Hip-hop, Classical, Indie, Big Band

Jan 21, 2009 at 1:39 PM Post #4 of 15
Just going by brand reputation, Marantz would be the warmer one. better is all subjective, so you'll have to listen for yourself if at all possible. You could take the stax setup to a local hifi-store and try it.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just going by brand reputation, Marantz would be the warmer one. better is all subjective, so you'll have to listen for yourself if at all possible. You could take the stax setup to a local hifi-store and try it.

Really? I've compared my DacMagic against an SA11 and the Marantz was definitely a tad brighter.

Jan 21, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 15
good thing about 'brand reputation' is that it isn't necessarily true
tongue.gif

it all depends on model/year etcetc.

Jan 21, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

good thing about 'brand reputation' is that it isn't necessarily true
tongue.gif

it all depends on model/year etcetc.

Well from what I've read, the consensus is that most Cambridge Audio stuff sounds warm. British gear tends to follow that trend.

I've also noticed that many Asian brands tend to have a brighter sound. And this is not just audio components. Even pianos (I am a pianist) made by Asian companies such as Yamaha have a brighter sound, as opposed to Steinway and Bosendorfer (American and European brands) which have a very warm sound. Makes you wonder what cultural influences causes those types of tendencies.

Edit: Another note about pianos, is that it may also depend on who the target buyers of each brand are. Yamaha and Baldwin tend to be more popular with rock/modern bands (a bright sound is needed to cut through all the loud instruments like electric guitars, drums, etc), whereas Steinway and Bosendorfer are more for solo and classical performances.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nad!

NAD C542 only one around here available, but I've heard about build quality issues...

Quote:

All Marantz are Special Order

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #10 of 15
next best thing to do is take your gear and just try the Cambridge stuff
wink.gif

Jan 23, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 15
how would a musical fidelity 3.5 for AU$1190 compare to the NAD C542 for AU$700? is it worth nearly the extra $500?

Jan 24, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 15
but how is the build quality with the NAD C542 Ive heard some bad things about it, also is the Musical fidelity 3.5 a better player?

Jan 26, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #14 of 15
Marantz all the way! You'll never look back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back