Marantz DV 8400
Jul 24, 2004 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

drpje

New Head-Fier
How is the Marantz DV 8400 universal player for redbook CD's and SACD.
I have a chance to purchase the player for $1,000 My other options would be the Denon 2900 or newer 2910 or 3910, or the yet to be released Marantz DV 9500. Any other options for a good sounding universal player in the $1,000 price range. Thanks

Jul 24, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 4
First, go talk to Lextek. He has a Marantz DV-8400.

For under $1000 USD, I highly recommend you do research into the Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi. Talk to MikeG and me about it. I currently own it and I've written many private messages to MikeG about it. He knows as much as I do about this particular model and both of us are learning as much as we can about universal DVD players. Feel free to send us private messages.

The Pioneer Elite DV-59AVi is a direct competitor to the Marantz DV-8400 but check out my thread entitled Pioneer DV-868AVi in this forum. That is the European version of the North American model. The reviews are superb.

It can be modded. I'm going to do it at the end of this month with ModWright LLC. I look forward to receiving a PM from you!

Jul 25, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 4
Heck, almost all that I know about universal players I've learned from Welly Wu. He's a wonderfully patient and knowledgeable fellow. For me, a major criterion for selecting a univeral player was that it sound excellent in stock form, and especially that it be suitable for relatively inexpensively (<$1.5K) upgrading to sound even better. So, IMO the DV-59AVi suited these criteria best. As for my reason for wanting a universal player, it's because at some point in the next year or so, I plan to get a 42 inch plasma or LCD HD TV. After considering most of what's available, and what's likely to be available shortly, the DV-59AVi appeared to be the best choice. As for audio, I sought a player that would do an excellent job with Redbook and especially SACD material, and the DV-59AVi seemed to me to be the best univeral player for this, especially after modding. Good luck with your search.

Jul 25, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 4
jpelg also has one, and from what he told me in a PM exchange a while ago he seems to like it a lot. he's a great guy to talk to and I'm sure he won't mind a PM from you on the subject.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back