MARANTZ DD92 GOLD who heard of this one before?
Feb 22, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 6
That's a DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) machine and not a standard Cassette Deck.

They were introduced in the early 90s as a competitor to Minidisc. They could play normal cassettes but recorded on a special digital media.

They had 1:5 compression ratio and used the PASC encoding system. PASC is similar to ATRAC & MP3 and many people readily acknowledge that it was a better format.

It never really took off due the the high costs of the media.

They are a usefull thing to have though. If you want to transfer a cassette to CD or other digital format you don't have to mess around too much with interfacing. It automatically outputs the signal from the cassette on it S/PDIF outputs which you can connect to an external recorder or DAC.

FWIW these machines were built like tanks are quite collectible. Blank media may be problem though.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 6
I have one of these essentially unused, had a tape in it for maybe 5 minutes. Used mainly for it's excellent metering of input levels. Also have about 15 blank TDK DCC tapes. Anyone interested email me, I'm cleaning house. Chris

chrisdove@charter.net

Sep 11, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Philips' DCC was optimized for in-car use. In the end, neither it nor its main rival Sony's MD made it to the big leagues, just as with the SACD vs. DVD-A format war. Consumer electronics firms never learn.

Sep 11, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philips' DCC was optimized for in-car use. In the end, neither it nor its main rival Sony's MD made it to the big leagues, just as with the SACD vs. DVD-A format war. Consumer electronics firms never learn.

Actually, MiniDisc (MD) was quite popular in Japan in the 1990s, although it never gained traction anywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back