Marantz CD5004, upgrade amp, dac, both
Jun 19, 2014 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CharlesC

100+ Head-Fier
I have a new Marantz CD5004 and find the headphone out is not as detailed or forward as I would like.  Could I change the sound significantly just by adding an amp or should I plan to get an external DAC as well?  The CDP has a Cirrus Logic CS4392 built in so I don't know if I should look to bypass that as well as the amp.  Thanks for any help.

Jun 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 8
OK, so I dug out my old Nuforce Icon Mobile which is the only dac/amp I have around with an analog input.  Bypassing the CD5004 built in headphone amp, even with this old unit, improved things a lot.  Based on this rather unscientific test, I'm thinking that the built in DAC may be good and all I need to do is add a nice, new amp - likely either a Magni or an Asgard 2.

Jun 25, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 8
I received the Schiit Magni today and must say that it does a great job of overcoming the limitations of the built in headphone amp in the CD5004.  After spending $350 for the cd player, dropping another $100 on the amp was money well spent.  My hope was that I could easily get to a sound quality that I became used to listening to the microStreamer and I think I've done that (without having done any A-B comparisons, which I probably won't do any time soon).

So, my impressions of the Marantz CD5004 at this point are:
On the positive side:  silent transport mechanism, simple layout, excellent DAC.
On the negative side: don't expect much from the built in headphone amp, wish it were a little or a lot smaller.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #6 of 8
I haven't heard the CD5004, but I think the headphone amp in marantz players must have come a long way since. I think somebody mentioned it was night and day difference. I'm insanely impressed by the CD6005 which is driving my HD600. It's doubled the emotional content of my music. I use the Audio EX 2 mode on it which seems to add that bit extra. Marantz rocks... however I don't like how they push their sister company Denon when asking about headphones with CD6005 haha.

Oct 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Marantz CD5004>Little dot MK3->blue dragon V3>sennheiser HD650
The marantz is a pretty awesome CD
Player, but i was actually thinking of adding maybe a schiit bifrost DAC to the marantz, but i'm not even sure if that will even make the sound better in my rig though.....if anyone has advice, please share! :)

Oct 11, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Recently I have used both the cd5004 and Modi playing thru a Magni and HD598. My impression is that the marantz has a warmer, laid back sound. When I first started testing the Modi it seemed a little harsh compared to the marantz but as my ears and brain have adjusted I've begun to like the Schiit better than the cd5004. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back