Marantz CD5001 Vs Philips DVP5160
Dec 13, 2007 at 9:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Big Tone

New Head-Fier
Newbie here. Recently purchased these two quite different machines, the Marantz being a dedicated CDP (CD-R, CD-RW only) while the Philips is a DVD player (also plays MP3, DivX, CD-R, CD-RW and even has a USB port to the front) Both players have 24 bit/192kHz DACs.

Here's my problem, I ran audio tests using identical CDs on the same sound system and the winner was the Philips! I spend 180 euros on the Marantz but just 50 euros on the Philips and it was the Philips that outperformed the Marantz especially in the high notes.

The output levels were practically the same but there's no getting away from the disappointment I felt about the Marantz. I only bought it a week ago so now I'm thinking of taking it back.

Does anybody here have any other suggestions? And has anyone ever had the experience of a DVD player sounding better than a dedicated CDP?

Dec 14, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Tone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my problem, I ran audio tests using identical CDs on the same sound system and the winner was the Philips! I spend 180 euros on the Marantz but just 50 euros on the Philips and it was the Philips that outperformed the Marantz especially in the high notes.

Strangely enough I have a marantz CD player and a Philips DVD player, my Philips is a 24/96 but the Marantz is a one-bit with 8x oversampling. Mine however sound identical.

Quote:

The output levels were practically the same but there's no getting away from the disappointment I felt about the Marantz. I only bought it a week ago so now I'm thinking of taking it back.

How sure are you that the levels are the same , even a small increase in output level can give the impression that the louder one is better. My external DAC always sounds better than the internal ones when I switch over but it has a 0.5V increase over the internal DAC.

Quote:

Does anybody here have any other suggestions? And has anyone ever had the experience of a DVD player sounding better than a dedicated CDP?

Sell the Marantz, buy more CDs and enjoy the music, that is what I did when I found I didnt prefer my NAD C542 to my Philips. Your other option is to get drawn into a never ending sprial of upgrades, just my 2c, take it or leave it.

Dec 14, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Tone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spend 180 euros on the Marantz

What I want to know is where you found the Marantz for €180... They seem to run a steady €299 here.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I want to know is where you found the Marantz for €180... They seem to run a steady €299 here.

Probably because Finland is the most expensive country in the EU. I'm in Ireland where some government ministers encourage us to shop around for the best value hence lower prices.

Dec 17, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

How sure are you that the levels are the same , even a small increase in output level can give the impression that the louder one is better. My external DAC always sounds better than the internal ones when I switch over but it has a 0.5V increase over the internal DAC.

I have DB LEDs on the mixer which gives me the readings. Its not that one sounds louder than the other, its that one sounds better than the other though I have noticed the Philips DVD tends to be "toppy" while the Marantz has better Bass reproduction but less at the top end. But overall I'd say the Philips wins out but I may need to carry out further tests on cables, mixer channels, older CDs etc

Quote:

Sell the Marantz, buy more CDs and enjoy the music, that is what I did when I found I didnt prefer my NAD C542 to my Philips. Your other option is to get drawn into a never ending sprial of upgrades, just my 2c, take it or leave it.

The jury is still out on the Marantz because for pure practicality reasons its better from me to use the Marantz CDP rather than the Philips DVD for my home mini-studio setup (its difficult to cue tracks on the DVD player and even then the remote has to be used!) However what I might do is exchange the CD-5001 for the new CD-6002 which is supposed to be a better machine, it got the "What Hi-fi" 5 Star treatment recently but apparently is NOT available in the North America for some reason. Only problem is it cost twice as much as the CD-5001 ! I could buy it here in for 360 euro or 250 euro in Northern Ireland but I'm told (from a reliable source at Richer Sounds in Belfast) the problem is Marantz have stopped all of the retailers from shipping their products via way of internet sales! Riddle me that!!
Check it out here and let me know what you think:

Marantz Europe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back