Marantz CD5001... best low-priced 'high-end' CD player?
May 26, 2007 at 5:11 PM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwanasonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These unsubtle differences often vanish in blind tests, so maybe it's the act of spending a lot of money, or the knowledge that you are listening to expensive gear, that makes the music subjectively sound better to you?

Kerry M

x2, I concur, I agree, 1000000%!

May 26, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good post.

Sometimes I think we forget that HiFi (and I call it that as al modern kit fits the Din 45500 definition
icon10.gif
) is all about enjoying musc. Or at least I think it should be, if not we might as well listen to test tones
very_evil_smiley.gif

Likewise my system now is more modest now that it has been in many years < $500 for my headphone rig at home and $160 for a speaker system at work, but I can say with all honesty I havent been happier in my enjoyment of music for 20 years.

My thoughts exactly, I spent literally thousands on hifi in the past and recently downgraded the system. I don't regret the decision to downgrade a single bit. With the money I made from selling off the various bits of kit I was able to expand my CD collection vastly. The bigger selection of music to me is worth 100x more than a setup that sounds 5% better at best.

Quote:

These unsubtle differences often vanish in blind tests, so maybe it's the act of spending a lot of money, or the knowledge that you are listening to expensive gear, that makes the music subjectively sound better to you?

Kerry M

Isn't that the truth!

May 26, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwanasonic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Kerry M

It can't be the fact that it does actually sound better
eggosmile.gif
Better build quality. Better components. Etc.. I'd put my 2,000 set up against the popular Philips DVD player, & if there wasn't a noticeable difference I'd be the first to say so.

May 26, 2007 at 9:05 PM Post #34 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by creeky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thoughts exactly, I spent literally thousands on hifi in the past and recently downgraded the system. I don't regret the decision to downgrade a single bit. With the money I made from selling off the various bits of kit I was able to expand my CD collection vastly. The bigger selection of music to me is worth 100x more than a setup that sounds 5% better at best.

Isn't that the truth!

You can hear a 5% difference.. Must have good ears..

May 26, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #35 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I may listen to your setup and my 100% may be your 95% setup while your 100% may be my 95%. So who is to say which is better.

We both can for own listening pleasure and we both would be right. We are individuals after all or is that induhviduals!

Induhvidualism at its best per Scott Adams at http://www.dilbert.com/comics/dilber...sletter65.html

May 26, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #36 of 58
Quote:

The comment was made in jest...

May 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #37 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by creeky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The comment was made in jest...

I have been around here a long time and many people say they can....I was just addressing that certainty and the meaning of it.

May 26, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #38 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may listen to your setup and my 100% may be your 95% setup while your 100% may be my 95%. So who is to say which is better.

We both can for own listening pleasure and we both would be right. We are individuals after all or is that induhviduals!

Exactamundo! We are all different individuals, with different tastes, different abilities, and different experiences. Some people can distinguish between two wines of the exact same type from the same winery, the only differnce being the year of production, and find the differences anything but subtle, while many wines of that type to me would probably taste exactly the same. One person's "subtle" is another person's "huge difference." And I don't know how anyone can talk about whether something is X% better, or worse, in terms of sound quality. What's the measurement standard you're using to say something is X% better?

May 27, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #39 of 58
The more I read this thread and the comments from other CD5001 owners (as well as advice from other Head Fi'ers elsewhere) I am starting to sway back from spending the money on a new player with mods to getting a reasonably priced DAC.

May 27, 2007 at 3:10 AM Post #40 of 58
FWIW, I found the music hall to be a HUGE improvement over the denon dcm-380 I had before. I've since modified this cdp with referenceaudiomods opa627 opamps and a shunyata power cord. The power cord made the biggest improvement of the afore mentioned mods.

Why don't you try the music hall stock (it can be had from one of our sponsors for less than you mentioned) and go modified later if you feel the need.

May 27, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #41 of 58
I auditioned the CD5001, Nad c532 and the Cambridge Audio 640c v2. Personally, I feel the 640c is much better than the other 2. Amp was a hornet and was paired to a Senn 555. The 640c had much more detailed mids and a much wider soundstage than the other 2. I feel if anyone is going for a cdp, pay a little more and get a 640c.

May 27, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #42 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ampersand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FWIW, I found the music hall to be a HUGE improvement over the denon dcm-380 I had before. I've since modified this cdp with referenceaudiomods opa627 opamps and a shunyata power cord. The power cord made the biggest improvement of the afore mentioned mods.

Why don't you try the music hall stock (it can be had from one of our sponsors for less than you mentioned) and go modified later if you feel the need.

What sponsor has the MH CD25.2 for under $549 (besides Moon Audio for $540)? I found one elsewhere for $549 and it comes with $150 worth of upgraded power cable and a pair of IC's + shipping
tongue.gif
. Now that's a good deal. I then have it drop-shipped to sacdmods and wammo! A fully modded player (with clock and ZapFilter) for ~$1300, and this will compete with players that cost $2500 (more or less) stock.
Or I get the Oritek Zhaolu D2.5A for $459 plush shipping, and use it with my Marantz CD5001.

May 28, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #44 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... $200 headphone is pretty good, but you shouldn't be fooled into thinking its Hi-End; Those headphones are Hi-Fi at best. Hi-End are reserved for L3k, KK, HE90, R10, etc.

Everytime I put on my modded Porta Pro or my recently purchased AT ES7, I wonder why I spent $1200 for a set of the KK, and another $2K for the amp to drive the KK ?

Reality in Hi-Fi !@#$.
wink.gif
The more you pay, the less you get out of it.
rolleyes.gif

May 28, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Huh? Not that I agree with qualifying differences in equipment on a percentage basis but your reply doesn't make much sense.

It's not like saying a light bulb is 5% brighter than another, that could be measured and verified even though the difference might not be visible to the naked eye. The percentage in this case is being used to describe a personal assesment of merit therefore by it's nature must be audible.

For example, I take two pieces of gear, compare them, then find that they have differences and even though the differences are minor they do favor one over the other as being "better" in absolute terms. Then someone asks "on a whole, how much better is it?" and I answer "hmmmm, maybe 5%". I heard a difference and qualified it on a percentage basis, if there was no audible difference, or not one that could be assessed as being "better", then the percentage would be 0. To say you can't hear or shouldn't be able to hear a 5% difference just doesn't make logical sense because it's a personal subjective difference qualifed as a percentage that's not measurable by any sort of equipment. OTH , for example, if you were to say "you must have good ears to hear a 5% increase in THD" then that would be measurable and verifiable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back