Marantz CD 6007 headphone output ?
Feb 20, 2021 at 7:34 AM Post #16 of 21
gimmeheadroom
your commenting on a piece of gear you've never heard, I call this trolling and is of no use to anyone.

As someone who actually has the 6007 I can say unequivocally this is a brilliant piece of gear. In fact your getting 3 units in one big box. I ran a s/hand bought Marantz 63 KI for 28 years - how's that for longevity. The 6007 slams the 63 into the ground.

I have 2 heavily modded h/amps, a Bada PH12 and a Dark Voice, there is no comparison. I don't normally trust manufacturers blurb or reviews in magazines but Marantz has established a reputation for producing good products and the longevity of my 63 KI rubber stamps this. These 2 h/amps will soon be up for sale.

The head amp is everything that Marantz claims. I used my new Oppo PM2 (bought in an auction from Hong Kong), Beyer DT 990 and Senn 600 cans. The h/amp was good straight away but improved over the next 30 hours or so. Voice has far more sensitivity, I played Mayall's - Blues from Laurel Canyon, it has a beautiful love song - The First Time, the way John sings it, listening is a very sensitive experience. Instrument separation is great as is the timbre of acoustic instruments. Al Di Meola's Elegant Gypsy has a powerful presentation. I have a good CD of DSOTM - the Floyd come across as they should.

If you take the lid off you will see a very good layout with 4 separate PCBs. The kicker for me over the previous 6006 is the inclusion of an excellent digital board that plays just about all digital formats.

The only negative for me and a small one at that is the top plate cover is very thin and tinny sounding. Whether this affects the sound is debatable, I used a piece of slate and a piece of chipboard on top, both of which gave the shell a nice solid 'thunk' when tapped.

As a side note the Oppo PM 2 are a delight to use, perfect they are not but so enjoyable and comfortable. In comparison the Beyers were thin sounding and the Senns were flat and dull.

If as I think the digital board will be on a par with the other functions then I think it's time to buy a Puffin and put my vinyl into the digital domain. Normally I suffer from the modding compulsion but it's missing with the 6007 - a definite thumbs up.

Find a Marantz dealer, take your cans and some CDs and check it out, after all the only opinion that matters is yours.

Feb 20, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #17 of 21
Gallic Dweller
Thanks for that detailed response, and at last from someone who actually has one.
Much appreciated, I think once covid restrictions ease off I will arrange a demo at my local dealer.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #18 of 21
pcook80
I bought mine from a hi-fi shop in Germany for the equivalent of £363 including delivery. Your in the UK so maybe with Brexit you will get shafted for import duties, I know I will if I buy from the UK, living in France.

At least with Covid a mask will not hinder your ability to hear. When you do, will you take some digital media with you so that you can share your opinion of the digital board?

May 19, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #19 of 21
Update - The h/amp has just got better and better and a 6007 user in Oz has given a thumbs up for the digital player as well. Supposedly the Oppo PM 2 don't have good bass, used with the 6007 I can't agree but then I don't like pumped up bass.

I'm sure that once the modders get to work it will become a giant killer. I'm thinking of looking at the PSU and using some Z-foils in the signal path and maybe some caps as well but as standard it has great drive, sound staging, very glad I didn't go for the UK 6006.

Jul 24, 2021 at 5:35 AM Post #20 of 21
I am using a CD6007 and a pair of Sony XM3 headphones connected via the 1/4 jack.

Will I get more benefit from a DAC, different headphones, PM6007? Any or all of these? Any recommendations for models or anything better to use with the CD6007?

Purely listening via headphones, no plans for speakers yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back