Marantz 4400 Receiver to PC question...
Sep 25, 2011 at 8:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

buencamino

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, good day, I'm not sure if I'll get laughed at because marantz is a really old sound product compared to all the things talked about in the forums here... but... so.. I'm kind of new to audio setups, just started a year ago.. well anyway.. the setup is that I thought of plugging in my dad's really old receiver from ages ago (a marantz model 4400), I searched the web and found out that it was an amplifier, so I guess the setup would be...

PC -> fiio E7 -> 4400 receiver -> headphones

I was hoping to ask for advice if this is correct? thank you very much...

and I am not sure if I connected it correctly.. the old receiver has a lot of ports in the back, way more complicated than a simple user friendly dac amp product... I just got a spare rca to stereo 35mm and then plugged it in the two sockets labelled under - FRONT main in (L and R), there is also a REAR main in counterpart but I figured I just insert the 35mm cable to the front option...

it worked so far, I get sound from connecting my headphones to the analog output socket on the front end of the receiver... but the weird thing is I can't control anything from the receiver knobs... volume, all the sound options from the knobs... is not controlling anything to the sound output of my headphones, if I have to adjust the volume I have to change it with the fiio amp or the PC... I can't help but think I plugged the 35mm jack to the wrong socket that's why the receiver is not responding to the controls... there's another input socket at the back that really bugs me, it's this socket labelled front inputs, then under it is two rca set of sockets (L and R), one is labelled cd-4/aux and the other is phono. I really think I should plug the pc to receiver cable to the aux socket, thinking this is the usual logical way to do it (our LCD tv uses aux-in, our dvd player also uses aux-in for audio input)...

any help would be great... thank you...

here is a picture if it would help... my audio cable is already plugged into the front main in (L and R)... but the front cd-4/aux is way over to the right side... I don't know which one to use... I tried in the aux but there was no sound coming out of the headphones.. but if it's the main in line... I can't control the audio with any of the knobs from the receiver...
thanks.

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 16
No, the 4400 is very nice! Ive got the 2270, dont mind posting it in the vintage receiver/intergrated thread. Also that setup will be just fine, maybe looking into the LCD-2
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 16
Try the aux in phono sockets there might a switch or something you have to use to select the different inputs, also try flipping that remote switch on the back try remote and local ,also that receiver looks like it's been rotting in a shed or something you should get some contact cleaner or de-oxit and clean up the rca contacts.

May 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 16
I believe I see Pre-out and Main-in jacks below where you have the cable plugged in.  You'll get no sound unless cables connect the pre-out to the main in.  The amp probably came with jumpers to do it.  But you father probably had a EQ or something like that between the 2 jacks. 

Once those are jumped, you can plug into tape in or aux.  Phono won't work right because it will apply RIAA EQ to the signal.

May 5, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 16
thanks i'll try that configuration. we have the tape deck for the amp... I just didn't include it I thought it wouldn't be necessary... since both weigh like a truck I was kind of lazy to lift the tape deck to my room..

May 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 16
yeah, a tape deck would probaably be plugged in between the pre/power jacks. As said, just connect them with an RCA-RCA connector.

Also make sure your "tape monitor" button isn't pushed in. I spent a solid hour and a half troubleshooting my Marantz 2245, only to realize the tape monitor switch isn't pushed in, followed by me turning off the tape monitor, and deafening myself because the volume was the whole way up. OUCH!

As for your terribly old 4400 Marantz. yes, you can feel free to send it to me to dispose of :wink:
Just kidding of course, the Marantz 4400 is a beautiful piece of equipment, that many many here would likely lust over. Enjoy!

May 6, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #9 of 16
hehe :)... a lot of people own a marantz in the thread scompton sent... reading through it... it seems that I don't have any headphones that actually needs a marantz amp... it seems to drive orthos... and more expensive ones... I'm guessing I guess my sr-60 doesn't actually need it to sound good... haha.. unless I get a stax or lcds... thanks for the info...

May 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I believe I see Pre-out and Main-in jacks below where you have the cable plugged in.  You'll get no sound unless cables connect the pre-out to the main in.  The amp probably came with jumpers to do it.  But you father probably had a EQ or something like that between the 2 jacks. 

Once those are jumped, you can plug into tape in or aux.  Phono won't work right because it will apply RIAA EQ to the signal.

Do what scompton said, use a short stereo RCA cable to connect pre-out to main in. Send your dac output to a tape input on the Marantz (this may be referred to as front left and front right) and select tape in from input selector on front face of Marantz. Note: the Marantz you have is an early discreet multi-channel receiver. Disregard any/all inputs/outputs that are referred to as rear.

May 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:
hehe :)... a lot of people own a marantz in the thread scompton sent... reading through it... it seems that I don't have any headphones that actually needs a marantz amp... it seems to drive orthos... and more expensive ones... I'm guessing I guess my sr-60 doesn't actually need it to sound good... haha.. unless I get a stax or lcds... thanks for the info...

My guess is that the Grado will sound good out of the Marantz.  Just be aware that it will be very easy to listen loud enough to cause hearing damage.  Grados are pretty easy to drive.  There's also a lot of AKGs and Beyerdynamics on that thread.  They're still more expensive than  the SR-60 but not in the $1000 plus range.  I've only spent more than $200 twice for headphones and most I've bought have been under $100. 

A good, and cheap, match for vintage receivers would be a AKG K240 Monitor.  Just make sure you're getting a 600 ohm K240 and it'll be good.

May 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #13 of 16
I've only heard it at a meet and I liked it.  I was disappointed that it doesn't really work well from an iPod despite the advertising.  I had to have my iPod's volume at near 90% to get adequate levels and I typically listen at lower levels that most people.  I'm sure it will be good from the Marantz

May 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:
Do what scompton said, use a short stereo RCA cable to connect pre-out to main in. Send your dac output to a tape input on the Marantz (this may be referred to as front left and front right) and select tape in from input selector on front face of Marantz. Note: the Marantz you have is an early discreet multi-channel receiver. Disregard any/all inputs/outputs that are referred to as rear.

ok

Users who are viewing this thread

Back