Marantz 2215B
Jul 20, 2006 at 5:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ats314

New Head-Fier
So I just picked up a Marantz 2215B for $135 shipped (hope thats a good deal) which I will be pairing with some Senn595's. Could i hook a xbox360 in to this receiver using analog and get good sound, or would I be better of buying a new receiver at a comprable price that has an optical input and DAC? My assumption is that is its better to go straight analog rather than going from digital and converting back to analog.

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Since your Marantz receiver is vintage kind (but very good one), it will only do two channel stereo from your Xbox360. If that is ok, analog sound through the Marantz will be excellent including your headphone out. But if you want the latest surround sounds likes of PLIIx, DD, DTS, etc., you need more modern surround sound receiver to take the advantage of digital sound. Of course, then you need more speakers and non-issue if you are going to use headphone only.

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 11
ok, so which of these two options would anyone recommend:

1. Xbox360 analog output --> Marantz2215B---> Sennheiser595's
2. Xbox360 optical output-->Creative Audigy 2 ZS platinum--->Sennheiser595's

price for marantz, $135 shipped
price for zs platinum, $100 + tax, local pickup, Frye's (good deal)

p.s. If i go with the audigy, i plan on adding a pa2v2 amp in the near future, but this will also add to cost, something to consider

Jul 20, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ats314
ok, so which of these two options would anyone recommend:

1. Xbox360 analog output --> Marantz2215B---> Sennheiser595's
2. Xbox360 optical output-->Creative Audigy 2 ZS platinum--->Sennheiser595's

price for marantz, $135 shipped
price for zs platinum, $100 + tax, local pickup, Frye's (good deal)

p.s. If i go with the audigy, i plan on adding a pa2v2 amp in the near future, but this will also add to cost, something to consider

Definitely go with option 1. Those vintage Marantz receivers are very capable. Digital would be only superior if you planned on using 5.1 sound (I don't have an xbox360, but I assume it does 6 channel audio) - but then again you wouldn't be able to use your headphones for that.

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 11
Yes please post your impressions.

Im thinking about a starter vinyl rig, with a marantz receiver at the hub. Supposedly the phono stage and headphone amp are very good.

Garrett

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattigol
kramer, where did you read about the phono stage of the Marantz receivers? I am interested....

I think it was Jahn who PM'd me... PM him he has a 2225

Jul 21, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #10 of 11
i'm running a my computer ( Turtle Beach Santa Cruz ) and a Denon record player through a recently purchased vintage Marantz 2218 to Senn 595s.

Suffice it to say, I was thinking of replacing my 595s, but 50 bucks later, they sound amazing. ( Thanks, David! ) I may still replace the 595s, this is Head-fi, after all, but I don't see how you can go wrong with Marantz.

Are their better amps out there? Sure, but not for the money.

As others have mentioned, if surround sound is a consideration, you've got more to think about.

Jul 21, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Overall I'm very happy with my Marantz (2238 model). Plenty of power to drive my Paradigm Monitors and the headphone section is very competent (my M^3 is more detailed and refined, but the Marantz is enjoyable nonetheless). The preamp section is somewhat colored - it exaggerates the bass and muffles the treble quite a bit - but it's possible to bypass it altogether and use the receiver as a power amp only (this is the way I'm using it right now - with Zhaolu as a preamp). If you want to use it with a turntable you're unfortunately stuck with the preamp and you'll have to adjust the sound to your liking using bass/treble knobs in the front - not a huge problem, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back