Marantz 2215b and Technics 1600???
Oct 11, 2003 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

silentperfection

100+ Head-Fier
Well it seems I'm diving in because I'm getting these both for under together for under 100 dollars. Hopefully the 2215B is good enough to act as a headphone amp. Knowing that mkmelt is the resident Marantz expert I'm just curious and what you think. Also, if anybody else has input about the turntable I would greatly appreciate it. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Oct 11, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 6
As with the rest of the Marantz 22xx series receivers, the 2215B drives the headphone jack off of the main audio amplifier via output level dropping resistors. The result is a very capable headphone output that matches best with high impedance phones such as AKG, Beyer Dynamic, and Sennheiser (580 and 600). You did not say what headphones you plan to use, so I can't say how well the 2215B will work with your setup.

Oct 12, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 6
I have never tried Eggos with any Marantz receiver or amplifier. My comment was based on auditioning Grado RS-1 headphones (32 ohm impedance) with a Marantz 1060 integrated amplifier. With this combination, the roll off in response at the high end was noticable.

Meier Audio provides a good explaination of the effect of the output impedance of an amplifier on headphone frequency response.

Oct 12, 2003 at 5:18 AM Post #5 of 6
I own a Marantz 2220B, and it matches up very well with my low impedance Sony CD3000's. I've never owned Eggo's, and I no longer own any Grado phones, so I cannot comment on how well those phones will work with a vintage solid state marantz amp or receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back