marantz 2215
Nov 1, 2006 at 1:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MoxMonkey

100+ Head-Fier
i found a local deal on a marantz 2215 for $30, it seems to get really good reviews both as an amp for speakers as well as headphones but would it be a worth while upgrade to my current yamaha rx-530 which i'm using for both at the moment?

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoxMonkey
i found a local deal on a marantz 2215 for $30, it seems to get really good reviews both as an amp for speakers as well as headphones but would it be a worth while upgrade to my current yamaha rx-530 which i'm using for both at the moment?

I do not know, but I had a vintage Marantz 2226 and it did very well as a headphone amp, for $30 it is hardly a big risk anyway and you could probably resell it here if you did not like it.

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 5
My experience with vintage Marantz receivers (I have three) suggests that the sound quality varies a lot depending on how much the capacitors have deteriorated. You should listen to it. If it sounds good, it is good. As Hciman says, you are not risking a lot.

Nov 1, 2006 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 5
I have a Marantz 2220 right now. I absolutely love it for driving my speakers but I have given up on its headphone output because there is a significant amount of hiss even with the volume turned all the way down. This is probably just my receiver but you might want to ask to test it out before you buy it.

Nov 1, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I have a Marantz 2285 and it is terrific as both a speaker amp, and headphone amp. . . . . .For $30.00, if it sounds good to you, how can you go wrong. That's only the price of some Grado flat pads.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back