Mapletree, Yamamoto, or other
Aug 30, 2007 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

lousyreeds1

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm converting my stereo into a nice headphone rig. My musical tastes aren't quite in line with those of my housemates, so it's time for something a little more private
smily_headphones1.gif

Once I sell of the stereo, I'm expecting to have about $1500 to play with on an amp and phones, maybe a tad more (I am fine with buying used when possible). I would LOVE to spend less, but I'm willing to blow it all on truly gorgeous headphone sound.

I'm new to this side of audiophilia, so I would really appreciate some advice from you all on headphones and a dedicated amp. My taste in sound is toward extreme immediacy, slight warmth with no brightness, and that palpable "you are there" sound that I've found only comes with tubes. So far I've come up with two potential combos:

Mapletree Ear+ HD2 and Grado RS-1
Yamamoto HD-A2 and AT-W1000.

What do you all think? Am I on the right track? My sources are a 4G Red Wine iMod and a Nottingham Horizon turntable. Any amp I buy must have two inputs.

Many thanks!

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #3 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that if you want "no brightness", Grado might not be the way to go?

- augustwest

One man's brightness is another's clarity.

OP, you could easily pick up a used RS1/mapletree inside your budget, and sell on for not much loss if it's not to your liking. It might help folks a little if you also mestion what type(s) of music you're into.

I can't comment directly on the MAD/RS1 combo, but hopefully will be able to do so in a month or two
biggrin.gif

Aug 30, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 45
Owning both the Mapletree and the Corda Opera, for the qualitys of warmth yet with better clarity and dynamics I would suggest the Meier Analog @ $910 ; Offers 2 switchable imputs and a very nice active preamp function as well as dual HP jacks, with a much better looking & structurally formidable housing.

Although I sold my RS-2s just prior to recieving the Opera, several Opera owners have matched their GS-1000 as well as RS-1s with it sucessfully. My choice of cans are of the brighter side of neutral with extended energetic treble and the Opera refines their presentation for me more favorably than with the Mapletree... Much better micro detail, dynamics & articulation/clarity throughout the FR...

Good luck~

LINK: http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/

Although, the Mapletree / Grados are a wonderful performance, without any brightness, at all,FWIW; I found soundstaging was something I preferred as an audiophile attribute of presentation with my other phones.

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #5 of 45
Lousyreeds,

The HeadFier to contact / PM is Tuatara as he has the Yammy / ATH and Mapletree / Grado combos (although the Mapletree is not exactly the same model you've noted).

Cheers,
Garry

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #6 of 45
Flat Pads tame the RS-1 shrill.

As much as I like the RS-1's the Yamamoto HA-02 and AT-W1000 would look fantastic.

You don't mention Sound Stage? Not an RS-1 high point.

Mitch

Aug 31, 2007 at 12:55 AM Post #7 of 45
If you rank brightness a concern, Grados likely shouldn't be the first choice. Not sure it would be ATs either though (though they're less so).
wink.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 45
For pure music enjoyment and getting your feet tapping then few cans come close to an RS-1. At the moment the Mapletree Ear + Purist HD is my favorite amp with it. However I will know better when the Green Solo is fully burnt in.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #9 of 45
Thanks, all, for your excellent suggestions. Music preference is pretty diverse, though I do spend a lot of time with classical and small group jazz. For what it's worth, I've heard the less expensive Grados before and was never bothered by brightness. I always wanted a little more body though... I was hoping that the combo of tubes and top o' the line Grados might do the trick.

I'm tempted by the Mapletree/RS-1 even more because both could be sold without significant loss. This may be the way to go. Any thoughts on other options?

Many thanks.

Aug 31, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lousyreeds1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm tempted by the Mapletree/RS-1 even more because both could be sold without significant loss. This may be the way to go. Any thoughts on other options?
Many thanks.

You could change the Mapletree to a single ended Singlepower model with the same considerations. There have been several of these FS lately at great prices.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:16 AM Post #12 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flat Pads tame the RS-1 shrill.

Flats is the way God intended it.
rs1smile.gif

To the OP, the RS-1 is spectacular with jazz, but for classical you will have to look elsewhere. In my opinion, the RS-1 simply doesn't have the soundstage or weighty low-end to pull off large orchestral dynamics.

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 45
Aug 31, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #14 of 45
The Singlepower looks great, but it only has one input. I really need two, I'm afraid. jjhatfield, what would you reccomend for that added soundstage and lower end weight?

Keep the suggestions coming - this is excellent advice and I appreciate it all!

Aug 31, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #15 of 45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back