Mapletree Super Stealth Monobloc
Jan 1, 2008 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tim_j_thomas

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have any experience with Dr. Lloyd Peppard's monobloc? I'm considering putting together a system around the Lloyd's super stealth monoblocs and his Ultra 4A SE Phono/Line Preamplifier.

I have Totem Arro's now but am considering upgrading to Harbeth Super HL5 or perhaps the new Thiel CS3.7. Will have to listen to both, but for now will keep the Arro's as I like them.

I have his Ear + Purist HD100 headphone amplifier and absolutely love it. The finest headphone amp I've ever heard.

I'd appreciate any thoughts and/or comments.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 7
This would probably do better in the amp section.
Also I doubt that 8watts is going to do you any good with the Thiels.(any of them)

Jan 1, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #3 of 7
uhaul.gif

umm..thats the best i got..

Jan 2, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by colonelkernel8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, recommended power is 100-300 watts for the 3.7's.

I would even put this power at the low end of what the Thiels need to sound there best. Also if using tubes they need to be stable into low rated speakers. The Thiels spend most of there time between 2.4 and 4 ohms. I have used several amps with my Thiels and, so far the Krell 650M amps I use have been the best.

Jan 2, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_j_thomas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! Are there any inherent pros / cons to high vs. low efficiency speakers?

The high efficiency ones tend to be paper cones and are more coloured sound wise. But they need less power. The Cerwin Vega AT80 was one of my most favoured high efficiency speakers. Low efficiency ones need more power, and are made of stiffer material and more accurate in their reproduction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back