Mapletree (MAD) Ear + HD200 and HD Super Owners
Feb 4, 2008 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

wfranklin

100+ Head-Fier
As a newbie, albeit one who is waiting with baited breath for my new MAD Ear + HD200 in a few weeks, I thought I'd start a new thread for the owners/owner wanna-be's of the MAD EAR + HD200 Special Edition and (future) HD Super headphone amps. Discussion topics such as:
--what configuration is your amp?
--what tubes are you using?
--what headphones have you found to be most synergistic with your amp?
--what cables (power, IC) have you found to work well?
--what upgrades would you like to see for future models?

Although we are a (very) small group at present, I anticipate this thread could generate a good amount of interest in the months ahead.

Join me!

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 28
MINE IS HERE!!!

Thoughts to follow....

smily_headphones1.gif
o

Quote:

Originally Posted by wfranklin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a newbie, albeit one who is waiting with baited breath for my new MAD Ear + HD200 in a few weeks, I thought I'd start a new thread for the owners/owner wanna-be's of the MAD EAR + HD200 Special Edition and (future) HD Super headphone amps. Discussion topics such as:
--what configuration is your amp?
--what tubes are you using?
--what headphones have you found to be most synergistic with your amp?
--what cables (power, IC) have you found to work well?
--what upgrades would you like to see for future models?

Although we are a (very) small group at present, I anticipate this thread could generate a good amount of interest in the months ahead.

Join me!

Feb 6, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 28
Thanks for responding. I just placed my order a couple of days ago, so am probably in for a wait of at least a couple weeks. Look forward to hearing your reaction.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 28
I'm also waiting ser# 200-2. I have HD 650 for cans.
Haven't decided on color though.

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 28
I've had mine since Monday - pics are in another thread. It's the naked aluminium HD200.

The amp is stock and so are the tubes - 5 of the 6 tubes came as NOS, the 5751 being the exception, it's a Sovtek.

I must admit, I don't pay much attention to cables. For power conditioning on my main speaker system, I use a BPT balanced isolating transformer (a honking big 75 lb thing). Nothing in my study where the HD200 is.

As for the sound of the HD200: to me it sounds very good indeed. My main speaker amps are Class A tube rectified monoblocks and the HD200 has a similar wonderfully smooth, detailed sound.

My headphones are: AKG K340 (bought new in the 80's); HD580; SR60; GS1000.
So far, it's the K340 that has caught my attention through the HD200. The power to drive it seems to be there and I'm listening now to (a digitized) vinyl recording of Puccini. Wonderful soundstage, ambiance and very involving.

Haven't spent as much time with the other phones, but my initial impression is favourable. The GS1000 has it's own weird characteristics which people either love or hate (mostly hate, it seems) and the HD200 doesn't flatten out the high end - the amp itself is flat. But the amazing GS1000 soundstage is definitely there through the HD200.

So, in summary - I like it!

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 28
Great! Welcome to the owners' thread, Mr. Toad and Grain Man. I'm waiting on S/N -3. Hoping to see some movement on the order queu on the MAD site soon; has shown me as deposit rec'd for the last couple weeks. Getting mine in the burgundy finish.

Feb 21, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #7 of 28
Feb 22, 2008 at 10:27 AM Post #8 of 28
Yes, it's lovely. I never understood the logic for building this, though. I have the original HD and it drives both my 150 Ohm 595s and low impedance K-701s very easily. Is the higher power really needed?

How does it sound compared to the original?

Feb 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 28
Perhaps "logic" didn't have much to do with it. I think it's more a statement piece, what with the magic eye tubes and all. Fun to listen to; fun to look at.

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's lovely. I never understood the logic for building this, though. I have the original HD and it drives both my 150 Ohm 595s and low impedance K-701s very easily. Is the higher power really needed?

Maybe the increased output power and linearity somehow gives this a different/better? sound. Looking at the graphs in issue 5 Mapletree Branches shows plate curves more spaced evenly. Should result in lower distortion,but
difficult to prove(quote). There maybe a HD super in the works, so maybe their are sonic benefits from the higher output. Those of us fortunate to have one , lets enjoy and give feedback. The evolution of the Ear+ HD series continues.

Love the MADness

Feb 22, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #11 of 28
Yes. The reason for putting HD + Super in the thread title was in anticipation of the next generation of HD + product, which the good Dr. had described in his newsletter.

Feb 22, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The higher power makes the K340 sing.

Feb 22, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #13 of 28
I'm looking forward to hearing it with the K701's.

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #14 of 28
well, at least my order is now in the queue as "starting the week of Feb 25". Am thoroughly enjoying WA6 in the meantime.

Mar 11, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 28
Just received both my HD200 (s/n -3) and ALO mod'ed Ultrasone HFI780 in the mail yesterday. Am enjoying my K701's through the HD200, and running 780's through Woo WA6 from the HD200's passive output. This setup will allow me to burn-in both amps and sets of HP's from a single source. Only complaint about the HD200 is that the 6X4 socket is loose (neither of the adjacent screws seem to mate with the socket); I've emailed Lloyd to see if he has any suggestions. Doesn't seem to impact sonics at all. All in all, I'm very pleased both with the amp's appearance and its sonic performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back