Mapletree EAR Update
Jun 13, 2006 at 3:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
Well, this is post #500 and I had hoped to use it to post my long overdue impressions of my three month old MAD EAR++ III. But, given enough time, things can change. I logged on yesterday to a number of PM's from EAR owners, and past and present prospective EAR owners regarding the status of the EAR++ III at Mapletree Audio's web site. Sure enough, it was no longer listed anywhere, although the EAR+ Purist was still listed. So, a quick message was sent to Dr. Peppard. I quote his response as follows:

Quote:

Thank you for your enquiry about the Ear++. I had too many products to keep track of, and with my order queue growing to unmanageable proportions, I have tried to simplify things by eliminating redundant or low-demand products, including the Octal 6 preamp and Ear++ III. The main reason for the Ear++ was to offer a preamp as part of the Ear+ Purist. The headphone amp performance is the main focus of the design, and the preamp ended up with too much gain for many solid-state power amps and required external attenuators, etc. The Ear+ Purist has passive preamp outputs which for high-gain, high-power solid-state power amps is a better way to go and at no extra cost.

So, I would like to go back to the draft of my initial impressions and edit them accordingly as many of them were focused on the pre-amp section of the EAR++ III. I believe that this change in MAD's product line is mostly for the better, as it should have no impact on audiophiles seeking just a headphone amp. The headphone amp design in the EAR product line is something that those seeking a tube amp should definitely consider. It is quite the performer, and those who have used it as such will most probably agree.

And for those seeking a unit that can pull double duty, I am inclined to believe that a passive pre-amp output would probably offer better performance than the pre-amp design that was incorporated in the EAR++ III. More thoughts and impressions to come as time permits, most probably as responses to questions posted, as big blocks of my free time continue to be limited.

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:00 AM Post #2 of 3
Thank you for the update as to the status of the EAR++. I too had to quickly discard the idea of using the pre-amp section of the ++III. The noise floor was way too high with my amp, the attenuators that Lloyd kindly sent free of charge helped a little but ultimately not enough to make me use it as a pre-amp. For me this matters little, it was always just a nice extra function to have, my main purpose for the ++III was always for headphone amp duty.
I am ashamed to admit that I have not spent nearly enough time listening to this amp due to receiving another amp within a day or two of the Mapletree. From the intermittent listening I have done my overall impression is that it is a gem of an amp. I rolled out the stock driver tube for a Raytheon 5751 to great effect which gives me some optimism for further rolling experiments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back