Mapletree Ear+ or Gilmore Lite for Grados?
Mar 19, 2005 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chim

Head-Fier
I currently own MS-1s and love the grado sound, i also own Senn 590s and B&O A8s and I think the Grado sound makes you wanna dance. I'm really torn between what amp to get though, because I think that either a MS-2 or 325i is in my future.

Its either a Mapletree Ear+ for the tube rolling fun, of which i have NO idea how to do any of and would love to learn,

or the Gilmore Lite which is easy and simple and everybody says it rocks.

I just want to get the most out of my money, can anybody shed some light on the issue? I tried searching but there was never an exact answer

Thanks a bunch

Mar 19, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 4
The Gilmore Lite is a really fast and powerful, and will bring the Grados to even higher levels of enjoyment than they are at now. The Mapletree will overall make it a better, more pleasant listening experience because it uses the power of tubes: Warm, dynamic, and rich.

Mar 19, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 4
the ASL MG head DT series (non OSL) are normally considered to be a bad idea with grados right? Im thinking to just go with the Gilmore Lite and never worry about tubes again, but there's just something about that awesome tube glow

Mar 19, 2005 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 4
I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I've listened to MAD Ear+ Purist HD (which would cost assembled twice that of Gilmore Lite) and liked it very much with my MSP that I owned at the time. If I get another tube amp, I would get that one since my main phones are Grados. As for Gilmore Lite, I own it and I have no intention of parting with it anytime soon. Ultimately, it'll come down to your preference. It would be best if you can audition both amps. IIRC, HeadAmp will let you audition some of their amps for a week if you e-mail them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back